New user needs help with WD external Hard drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi guys I'm new to these forums and I have a quick question that I can't figure out to save my life. I have a 1tb silver WD external hard drive for my mbp. I am trying to reformat it so that I am able to take movies off my mbp and watch them on my ps3. Now I understand that I need to go to disk utility and erase. The options they give me are though

Mac OS extended (Journaled)

Mac OS extended

Mac OS extended (case sensitive Journaled)

Mac OS extended (case sensitive)

Is it possible to reformat it so my ps3 will read movies? Any help that you can provide would be awesome. Thanks guys!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

reformat it so my ps3 will read movies?

FAT, then. None of those you've listed.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

FAT, then. None of those you've listed.

So it's not possible
  • Reply 3 of 10
    It IS possible.

Along with that list of formats should be "MS-DOS (FAT)" ... that's what you want to use. But beware, it will not allow files more than 4GB in size.

(The Mac will still be able to read that drive as well.)

Personally, I gave up on trying to use my PS3 to watch ripped movies and bought an Apple TV.

The AppleTV seems to do a MUCH better job of up-converting lower res files to display at 720p.

Something else occurred to me ... IF the drive (top level) is formatted as "Apple Partition Map". then FAT won't be available (I think).

To check... select the TOP LEVEL of the drive from the sidebar in Disk Utility. Then, at the bottom of the window should be a label for "Partition Map Scheme" ... that should read "GUID" or "Master Boot Record" (GUID will allow it to be a Mac bootable volume if you ever desire) ... If it is labeled "Apple Partition Map", then you're going to have to re-partition the drive (a single partition is fine) and under an "Options" tab, select GUID (or MBR).

Any of this "Re-Formatting" is going to erase anything that's on that drive ... plan accordingly.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmaines11 View Post

So it's not possible

Of course it is. Right in that list you can see FAT as an option to format.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    [QUOTE=KingOfSomewhereHot;1982857]It IS possible.

Personally, I gave up on trying to use my PS3 to watch ripped movies and bought an Apple TV.

The AppleTV seems to do a MUCH better job of up-converting lower res files to display at 720p.

Okay so then here is another question for you. I have always been a little confused on the whole Apple TV. I always thought that Apple TV was the OnDemand service that Comcast offers but only through apple. Am I wrong about this? I can watch my own movies on Apple TV?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

I always thought that Apple TV was the OnDemand service that Comcast offers but only through apple.

Um?

Quote:

I can watch my own movies on Apple TV?

'Course you can. Leave a computer running with iTunes open and pointed to a library with those movies and yes, you can.

See, here's the thing.

The first Apple TV sucked. Hardware and software. Sucked. A hundred watts IDLE and sucky software.

This Apple TV still sucks. The hardware is magnificent. Six watts MAX. But it's not quite there yet. It can't do high bitrate 1080p, so Apple blocked ALL 1080p playback. And the software still sucks so much.

The next one, the one that should have either an A5 or A6 chip? That's the one to buy. And HOPEFULLY (please oh, freaking please, Apple) it will be a standalone device again. It's the stupidest thing in the world to require a computer running and iTunes open to view your own crap.

You should be able to have an external hard drive (or array of multiple drives) with files set up in an iTunes library hierarchy on it (them) plugged into your AirPort Extreme and accessible from any Apple TV anywhere.

Or have hard drives directly pluginable to the Apple TV itself.

Or, heck, give me one with internal storage again. I'd need several terabytes, and since Apple would probably choose NAND flash memory, that would run me into the hundred thousands, but hey, it's a start.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

I always thought that Apple TV was the OnDemand service that Comcast offers but only through apple. Am I wrong about this? I can watch my own movies on Apple TV?

You couldn't be more wrong. It has nothing to do with Comcast, whatsoever.

You can stream movies and shows from the iTunes Store. You can also stream anything that is in the iTunes library on your computer to an AppleTV. Or anything that you can play on your iPod/iPhone/iPad can be streamed from that device to the AppleTV if you want.

Apple TV will also stream from Netflix, Youtube, and a few other online channels through it's own interface.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

You couldn't be more wrong. It has nothing to do with Comcast, whatsoever.

You can stream movies and shows from the iTunes Store. You can also stream anything that is in the iTunes library on your computer to an AppleTV. Or anything that you can play on your iPod/iPhone/iPad can be streamed from that device to the AppleTV if you want.

Apple TV will also stream from Netflix, Youtube, and a few other online channels through it's own interface.

Okay so here is my last question then. My movies that I have downloaded on my computer are all .avi files. How do I import them into my Itunes?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Okay so here is my last question then. My movies that I have downloaded on my computer are all .avi files. How do I import them into my Itunes?

Wow, you are a convert, aren't you?

HandBrake. Best conversion software. Basically ever.

Just convert to MP4 (go into HandBrake's preferences and tick the box that says something along the lines of "make the extension .M4V". Does wonders for compatibility with iDevices).
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wow, you are a convert, aren't you?

HandBrake. Best conversion software. Basically ever.

Just convert to MP4 (go into HandBrake's preferences and tick the box that says something along the lines of "make the extension .M4V". Does wonders for compatibility with iDevices).

Personally I highly recommend iVi Pro, not the one on the App store, but through their site (the one on the App Store can't rip DVDs). Though not free, it's much easier to use than Handbrake, interface looks way better, has more current presets, has far better integration with iTunes, and is being regularly updated. This is not spam, and this is not an ugly port of a shady Windows program. iVi was written specifically for the Mac, and isn't even available on Windows.

http://www.southpolesoftware.com/iVI/iVI.php

Free trial/$9.99 License