Adobe releases Photoshop, Premiere Elements 10 on Apple's Mac App Store

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
"Special editions" of Adobe's consumer-oriented editing software, Photoshop Elements 10 and Premiere Elements 10, are now available to purchase on Apple's Mac App Store.

Both Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Editor and Adobe Premiere Elements 10 Editor are available on the Mac App Store for $79.99 each. The "Editor" portion of the name reflects the fact that the Mac App Store versions of the software do not include the Elements Organizer or support case-sensitive HFS volumes, while Premiere Elements 10 Editor also lacks Smartsound capability.

The release of "special editions" of Adobe's consumer photo and video editing software comes less than two months after they were released at retail. The full version of both Photoshop Elements 10 and Premiere Elements 10 come at a higher suggested price of $99.99 each.

Adobe originally debuted on the Mac App Store in July with the release of Photoshop Elements 9 Editor. Adobe's support of the Mac App Store is noteworthy, as many of Apple's competitors have chosen to avoid the digital distribution storefront, which gives Apple a 30 percent cut of sales.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Editor

Adobe is pitching its Mac App Store version of Photoshop Elements 10 as a product that "works great with iPhoto when you're ready to go beyond the basics." The $79.99 purchase includes all of the editing features of the full version, and can be installed in English, German, French and Japanese.

The "top features" of Photoshop Elements 10 Editor, according to Adobe, are:

Go from flawed to phenomenal in seconds with automated options that help you get great results with just a few clicks. Simply paint effects and patterns on photos to achieve stunning results.

Count on step-by-step assistance?Let Guided Edits help you achieve both basic edits and artistic effects by walking you through each step. New options help you create dramatic Depth of Field, Picture Stack and Orton effects.

Make unwanted photo elements vanish with one stroke of the enhanced Spot Healing Brush that fills in backgrounds beautifully, powered by the content-aware fill technology from Adobe Photoshop.

Create the perfect photo by easily combining the best from multiple photos. Create great group shots, expanded panoramas, perfectly lit shots, and more.

Share the way you want using flexible templates to create photo books, cards, calendars, and more. Add curvy, flowing text that automatically flows around subjects, shapes or any path you choose.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Editor requires Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later. It is a 1.21GB download. Other features of the "special edition" software listed by Adobe are:

Layers-based image editing with enhanced support for layer masks and layer styles

Transform images using powerful compositing and image extraction tools

Over 50 tools for selecting cropping, painting, typing, retouching and adjusting

Powerful, automated color correction tools with precise control over different image parameters

Hundreds of filters with unlimited options

Extensive 3rd party plug-in support

Advanced text typography

Adjust image size and resolution

Prepare and export images for the web

Create Picture Packages and Contact Sheets for fantastic print output

Adobe Premiere Elements 10 Editor

Like Photoshop Elements 10 Editor, Premiere Elements 10 Editor can be installed in English, German, French and Japanese. Adobe's description touts that its award-winning video editor allows users to "turn your video clips into memorable movies." Top features are:

Create a polished movie instantly?InstantMovie automatically edits together your best clips with coordinated music, titles, and effects from your choice of movie theme. Enjoy over 30 fun themes.

Save time with automated options?Fix shaky footage, color and lighting problems, trim away all but your best footage, and balance audio elements to give you professional-quality sound throughout your movie.

Easily do more with video clips and photos?Make all your memories shine whether they?re captured on video or in photos. Enhance color in video clips as easily as with photos, and quickly bring photos to life using customized pan and zoom motions.

Quickly add professional polish with TV-style visual and audio effects.

Showcase clips and movies anywhere, including on discs, HD TVs, Facebook and YouTube?. Also share via convenient DVD-style viewing experience online.

Adobe Premiere Elements 10 Editor also requires Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later. It is a 924MB download from the Mac App Store. Additional features listed by Adobe are:

Storyboard or timeline view with 99 audio and video tracks for unlimited creative possibilities

Hundreds of effects and transitions

Professional quality audio effects and controls

HD or SD format support for importing, editing and sharing

Automatic trimming of poor footage (SmartTrim)

Full keyframing for effects and motions

Powerful compositing options including blue/green screen and multiple picture-in-picture effects

Effects masking & motion tracking

Customizable, flexible workspace

Easy title creation with dozens of templates and full creative control of backgrounds, text formatting, animations and more

Custom disc menus

Export to AVCHD, burn to DVD or Blu-ray, all within a single program

Burn HD video to standard DVDs

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Any word on upgrades?

I bought v9 from the Mac App Store last month, as I didn't expect a significant update so quickly after the July release. I'll be disappointed if support (including bug fixe releases) for v9 doesn't happen now that v10 is released.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G_Warren View Post

Any word on upgrades?

I bought v9 from the Mac App Store last month, as I didn't expect a significant update so quickly after the July release. I'll be disappointed if support (including bug fixe releases) for v9 doesn't happen now that v10 is released.

I doubt you'll get an upgrade. Remember, this is Adobe we're talking about, who charged full prices for a point update of their Creative Suite (5.5). Just remember, though, that Apple, who will give you unlimited installs and lifetime updates of their App Store apps, is still somehow more evil than anything else on the entire planet combined.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    I am not a developer - or at least the only code I have written has been for internal consumption - not that I don't have ideas - but have never put anything out there for sale - nor have I ever run a distribution business (though I worked for one - in a technical sales role) - but it would seem to me that Apple could pretty easily setup some sort of tiered model - 30% up to $50 - 20% for titles from $51 to $199 - and 10% for anything $200 an up maybe. Not sure how that compares to other distribution models. That is an interesting question, though, just what is the percentage that other distribution companies take - whether you are talking about Amazon or a Music label or even Best Buy etc - everyone wants their cut - and I would imagine that there is a wide range of percentages taken out there depending on the relative bargaining strength of each partner in any given transaction.

So I suppose - no matter how you feel about the 30% Apple cut - the fact that it is a public number that is not negotiable regardless of whether your product is $1 or $100 or $500 - could be a good thing. And I would imagine that except for very large companies, not needing to have your own servers and distribution mechanism and payment collection processing and perhaps even less $ spent on advertising - 30% might start to look good. on the other hand - if you have all that stuff yourself already - 30% likely sounds really steep.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Quote:

Any word on upgrades?

You can buy cheap upgrades from Adobe Directly, though you'll loose your five mac install license and unlimited downloads from the App Store.

Knowing Adobe, the update wont be that substantial. I Moved from Photoshop 7 to CS3 and the list of new features was impressive at the time. CS3 to CS5.5 (technically 3 versions later) and I don't see anything different. Wait 4 or 5 years and then it'll be worth the upgrade.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I doubt you'll get an upgrade. Remember, this is Adobe we're talking about, who charged full prices for a point update of their Creative Suite (5.5). Just remember, though, that Apple, who will give you unlimited installs and lifetime updates of their App Store apps, is still somehow more evil than anything else on the entire planet combined.

Because customer satisfaction is evil. How dare they try and be fair and level headed regarding a customer's possessions!
  • Reply 5 of 34
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Ah Adobe Premiere. For when Final Cut and Avid Media Composer aren't available without a day's journey.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    When an App includes the version number in the name, you know you will have to pay again for whole new versions. e.g.

Photoshop 10

Aperture 3

iPhoto '11

OS X Lion

Unison 2

Smultron 4

but when they don't you can expect a lifetime of free upgrades.

Pages

Xcode

Entropy

Raskin
  • Reply 7 of 34
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Special editions" of Adobe's consumer-oriented editing software, Photoshop Elements 10 and Premiere Elements 10, are now available to purchase on Apple's Mac App Store.

Adobe is smart to release consumer-grade software for the Mac. The Pro market is slowly but surely being abandoned by Apple.

But when did the Windows version come out? Maybe they are just too lazy!
  • Reply 8 of 34
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Any word on upgrades?

I have difficult equating Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor with Adobe Photoshop Elements. That aside, I have used Adobe Photoshop Elements since Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0. I have no recollection of Adobe's ever offering an upgrade price or discount for users of older versions. I currently use Adobe Photoshop Elements 10. I recall no upgrade price for users of Adobe Photoshop Elements 9. Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor is less expensive than Adobe Photoshop Elements making any discount less attractive to the buyer and less profitable for Adobe. Lacking evidence to the contrary, my best answer to your question is "It ain't happening."
  • Reply 9 of 34
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Troll.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

• Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Adobe is smart to release consumer-grade software for the Mac. The Pro market is slowly but surely being abandoned by Apple.

What does Apple have to do with Adobe releasing consumer grade, tiered products? Or are you just trolling again, Tech Stud? Don't you ever get tired of it?
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Troll.

LOL, are you serious? I was calling out Adobe and obviously being sarcastic about Apple. Look at any of my hundreds of previous posts and tell me again that I'm a troll. I'm still laughing so hard that I can barely finish this post!
  • Reply 12 of 34
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

What does Apple have to do with Adobe releasing consumer grade, tiered products?

ISTM that Adobe is skating to where the puck is going - the consumer market, rather than where it used to be - the pro market, when it comes to Mac software.

The pro market for Macs is drying up. Apple is leading the charge. Adobe is just following their lead.

Apple is too big and too focused to deal in niche areas. They are aiming squarely at the great unwashed with their offerings. Why should Adobe release pro software for consumer grade hardware?
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

When an App includes the version number in the name, you know you will have to pay again for whole new versions.

but when they don't you can expect a lifetime of free upgrades.

Er? Every numbered version of Pages is paid. Same with the rest of the iWork and iLife applications.

Unless you're referencing the fact that Adobe is now charging for x.x(.x) updates, and then I completely agree with you and want to crack Adobe's collective skull open with a sledgehammer.

In fact, Apple's desire to charge for numbered versions of iWork/iLife is very probably the reason they haven't updated them since the Mac App Store came out.

The idea behind iOS apps is pay once, update forever. When the Mac App Store came out, companies did that, too. If you bought Pixelmator from the Store, you got 2.0 free. If you didn't, you paid for it.

But iLife and iWork? I think we'll be paying for them. Apple just has to throw out an update to the Mac App Store application, I guess.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Troll.

You've misread his post. Please read it again.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    I want Photoshop (FULL) for $199. Fsck you Adobe.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yours Smugly View Post

I want Photoshop (FULL) for $199. Fsck you Adobe.

Buy Pixelmator, then. Enough people stop buying Adobe products, they lose their monopoly and don't get to charge $5,000 for one piece of software.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I ... want to crack Adobe's collective skull open with a sledgehammer.

Why be so mild? Wouldn't you be happier if you tied them up and slowly killed them by drilling through their skulls with an electric drill? You could use a huge stadium, and make the weaker ones watch the stronger ones get slaughtered first. The biggest ones could be killed the most slowly.

By the time you were done, you might have less gore and fewer pieces of brain and skull littering the landscape, but you'd still be happier.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

- but it would seem to me that Apple could pretty easily setup some sort of tiered model - 30% up to $50 - 20% for titles from $51 to $199 - and 10% for anything $200 an up maybe..

They could. They don't want to. In part because folks would argue it should be the other way. 10% on the cheap apps etc.

But then they would play pricing games to keep themselves as cheap as they can handle and cut Apple out as much as possible. A lame move since they could cut Apple out completely and sell off their own site, but many of them want the easy advertising of being on MAS.

30% flat means that everyone is treated the same. No one can claim that the big boys are getting a better deal cause they are bigger and more important or whatever else they might want to claim.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    As a longtime Creative Pro, I have bought nearly EVERY new »»»OPEN««« Mac model, beginning with the Macintosh IIx, my first Mac.

(If Jean Louis Gassée did anything right, he fought internally at Apple for a Mac with "slots," and even had a vanity license plate on his car that read: OPENMAC. Then he finally got his way with the Macintosh II.)

It is a fait accompli: Apple is going to kill the Mac Pro and release the iMac Pro (which will exist only temporarily -- kind of like Rosetta). (They'll just need to convince Pros that it is indeed a Pro machine and convince consumers that the regular "iMac" is a Consumer machine -- if they can have it both ways.)

Meanwhile, for Pro software that appears on the segregated, "separate-but-equal" Mac App Store (much the easier to kill when the time comes than if it were integrated into iTunes/App Store), I'll be buying from the ISVs themselves or elsewhere -- NOT Apple.

Oh, I'll still buy the occasional Pixelmator and like to support small developers and encourage greedy, monopolistic software makers to slash their exorbitant prices, but Adobe's and Autodesk's sales will increase at the expense of whatever cut Apple gets when a high-priced Pro app or suite like theirs' is bought via Apple.

Counterproductive you ask?

Mac App Store sales drop and that gives more reason the kill the Mac, let alone the Mac Pro?

Again, the death of the Mac that has eight RAM slots for up to 96GB RAM, four storage device bays for up to 12TB of internal storage, RAID support, three PCI slots, upgradeable Graphics Card, two optical drive bays and ample connection ports (they can fit more on a machine with a larger form factor. That's why the 17" MacBook Pro has three USB 2.0 ports and the 17- and 13-inch models have only two) -- namely, the Mac Pro is a fait accompli.

Next comes the death of the Mac altogether (and with it only one of the most recognized brand names in the world, worth billions in equity).

The first shoe to drop will be the MacBook Air, which Apple will give "The Apple TV Treatment" to -- iOS on an ARM variant (and probably be renamed with "Mac" removed).

Then, up the chain it goes until there is only a single computing platform. GUESS WHICH ONE!

Apple has a bedraggled track record when it comes to amicable partnership dissolutions. It was GTH Motorola. GTH IBM. And when the platform is 100% ARM-based, it will be GTH Intel, too. Keep burnin' them bridges, now.

The "Back to the Mac" event was a placating, perfunctory (kind of like "bag of hurt" charade) 85 minute prelude to the biggest news of the event: the last 5 minutes when they unveiled -- YOU GUESSED IT -- a new MacBook Air! -- 'what we see as the future of computing' Apple is on record saying.

Oh, and all demos of Lion at WWDC were done on MacBook Airs. No other Mac was worthy.

I don't know about any other Creative Pros, but I can't see myself experimenting a lot with different Maya transforms or Photoshop filters on a "dumb" "client" device with almost no memory or storage, inextricably tethered to the great "Cloud in the Sky" (which, behind the curtain, is a lot of "Heavy Servers on the Ground").

Larry Ellison used to repeat the mantra, "The network is the computer." Then he bought Sun.

It can be both!!! REALLY!

You can have machines equipped to run certain software better using "local" resources (storage, RAM, GPGPU, etc.) and you can have "thin" client devices COHABITATING! (Imagine!)

There can be the bath water AAAAAAAND the baby.

(Most Pro users I know have a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro -- AT THE SAME TIME! Although I can't prove it as I've never seen both at once -- except in my own case.)

Why Apple would rather sell me an iOS device alone instead of having me buy an expensive tower Mac PLUS a notebook Mac PLUS an iPad PLUS and iPhone -- and a perpetual stream of revenue from their respective "Apps Stores" is beyond me.

P.S. Did you know the MacBook Air does not come with an Ethernet port?

P.P.S. If you doubt the thought that the Mac platform has no future, just look at the paucity of non-user-facing, or "under the hood" changes to Lion -- four years after Leopard. Resources need to be allocated at at company after all.

P.P.P.S. Please, oh please, God, don't force me to use Windows. : ( I've got to live down here!