Active/Passive CDROM Setting ?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I notice that my CDROM's reading speed is quite variable. When the CD is spinning at full speed (thus making a very loud noise) the reading of files is very fast, on the other hand, when the cd make's no noise, the reading is very slow ...

Is there a way to define wether you want your CDROM to work in a "passive" or 'active" mode ?

System: Mac OS X 10.1.3, QS 733, CD-RW 12-10-32.

Thx

Sarc

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mjpacimjpaci Posts: 79member
    Angular velocity, my friend. When the disc is being read near the center, the drive spins faster and while it is on the outside, it spins slower.

In theory, you should get constant throughput from your CDROM.

--Mike
  • Reply 2 of 3
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    I think Sarc is not talking about angular velocity. What he is talking about is that a computer sometimes reads CDs in bursts, e.g. when an application (DVD- or CD-Player) that works on a stream of data that is - for a given time space - smaller than what the drive can read in the same time.

It would be nice to "throttle-down" your drive. A sustained drive speed is less annoying than these loud bursts.

It would be cool if this was integrated in DVD-playersoftware.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    sarcsarc Posts: 14member
    [quote]Originally posted by RolandG:

<strong>I think Sarc is not talking about angular velocity. What he is talking about is that a computer sometimes reads CDs in bursts, e.g. when an application (DVD- or CD-Player) that works on a stream of data that is - for a given time space - smaller than what the drive can read in the same time.

It would be nice to "throttle-down" your drive. A sustained drive speed is less annoying than these loud bursts.

It would be cool if this was integrated in DVD-playersoftware.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Something like that ...

When the CDROM is spinning really loud, I rip MP3's at about 8-9.5X

When quiet 5-7.5X ...

to put an example

Works also for file copies ...

Sarc