Apple issues MacBook Pro, base station firmware updates

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released a pair of firmware updates to address an unexpected shutdown issue with MacBook Pro notebooks and to provide fixes for its AirPort and Time Capsule wireless base stations.

MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.5

The MacBook Pro firmware update resolves an issue where laptops could unexpectedly shut down during heavy use. The bug is known to occur while the machine is attached to a power adapter with a near-empty battery.

The 730KB update requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or OS X 10.7.2. Users are required to connect their computer power cord and have at least 25 percent battery charge before running the update.

Airport and Time Capsule Firmware Update 7.6

Firmware update 7.6 for AirPort Base Station and Time Capsule products is for all 802.11n Airport Express, 802.11n AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule models. It addresses a performance issue on overlapping wireless networks, a problem with AirPlay audio streaming and an issue with configuring multiple entries for DNS servers.

Users are recommended to first install AirPort Utility 5.5.3 before updating to Firmware version 7.6

RAW Compatibility Update 3.9

Apple on Thursday also released a RAW compatibility update digital cameras when working with Aperture 3 and iPhoto '11. The 7.20MB update, which requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or Mac OS X 10.7.2 or later, affects the following camera models:

Canon PowerShot S100

Nikon 1 J1

Nikon 1 V1

Nikon COOLPIX P7100

Olympus PEN E-PL1s

Olympus PEN E-PL3

Olympus PEN E-PM1

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ150

Sony Alpha NEX-5N

Sony Alpha SLT-A65

Sony Alpha SLT-A77

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    when i try to update my MBP i get an error message saying the software is not supported on my device. yet i don't see anything in the article specifying it's only for certain MBP models. 'Supp?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

when i try to update my MBP i get an error message saying the software is not supported on my device. yet i don't see anything in the article specifying it's only for certain MBP models. 'Supp?

The 730KB update requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or OS X 10.7.2. Are you up to date with the latest versions of SL or Lion?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

A similar article at MacRumors seems to specify that this update is for 2011 models. However, the comments in that article are a bit confusing, so it may actually be a subset of those 2011 MacBook Pro models, not all of them.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

A similar article at MacRumors seems to specify that this update is for 2011 models. However, the comments in that article are a bit confusing, so it may actually be a subset of those 2011 MacBook Pro models, not all of them.

I bought my 17" MBP in Sept 2010 and I updated without a hitch or denial.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Same for me on A MBP 2010 with last 10.7.2 update.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I'm still running the original (oldest) firmware on my Time Capsule as any of the later updates seem to just crash the TC when copying data to it. Hope this update is better than any of the previous ones.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I thought I read a month or so ago that Apple was preparing to release a new Airport Express. Did I dream it?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

I'm still running the original (oldest) firmware on my Time Capsule as any of the later updates seem to just crash the TC when copying data to it. Hope this update is better than any of the previous ones.

This update absolutely killed the reliability of my network. None of my mobile devices would hold a WiFi connection, and several of my outlying Sonos zones lost contact as well.

Very relieved to find the road back to 7.5.2, where all is well.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

MacRumors has subsequently reported in more detail that the firmware's only for 2011 models--a detail that should have been in all these apple blog posts from the get-go.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    [QUOTE=DrewM;1986008]This update absolutely killed the reliability of my network. None of my mobile devices would hold a WiFi connection, and several of my outlying Sonos zones lost contact as well.

Not sure why your experience was negative, but mine is the opposite. I have a network of a single Airport Extreme and several Airport Express units (joined to the Extreme). I have had some issues previously with connections dropping to a NAS server (AFP protocol) but after the update, it now seems rock solid. I have 2 iPhones, IP4 & IP4S (2.4GHz "N"), a HP wireless printer (2.4GHz "G"), and iPad (5GHz "N"),a 1st gen Apple TV (5Ghz "N") and my MBP (5HGz "N") and all are working perfectly after the update. The NAS server that I mentioned is connected via GigE directly to the Airport Extreme, but from there on, the connection is wireless.

david
  • Reply 11 of 13
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I don't know about shutdowns, but I've been having problems with my MBP charging lately. For the last few months I've been getting the intermittent "not charging" display when the adapter is connected. I don't see any frays on the cord, nor debris, etc. I've tried restarting, resetting the SMC and PRAM. I repaired permissions and ran Mac Keeper in case it was a software issue. It seems to be a little less frequent now. I can't tell if it's a short in the cord (which I think may be possible) or not. Unplugging the magsafe and reattaching it a few times (or waking the computer and putting it to sleep again) usually works for a while.

I wonder if this will have an impact.....
  • Reply 12 of 13
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I don't know about shutdowns, but I've been having problems with my MBP charging lately. For the last few months I've been getting the intermittent "not charging" display when the adapter is connected. I don't see any frays on the cord, nor debris, etc. I've tried restarting, resetting the SMC and PRAM. I repaired permissions and ran Mac Keeper in case it was a software issue. It seems to be a little less frequent now. I can't tell if it's a short in the cord (which I think may be possible) or not. Unplugging the magsafe and reattaching it a few times (or waking the computer and putting it to sleep again) usually works for a while.

I wonder if this will have an impact.....

SDW, I get this often. I'm fairly certain (for me) it's not battery or cord related but a power management issue. Resetting the power manager helps for a while until it happens again a day or a week later. Try it. Unplug and remove battery. Hold down power button for 5 seconds. Plug in cable and wait until the lights show it is functioning, then put the battery back in. At least for me it always starts charging/recognizing the battery.

I'm extremely gun shy about Airport firmware updates, more so than any other Apple updates. Bit hard by the last one. I'll wait this one out for a week.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

SDW, I get this often. I'm fairly certain (for me) it's not battery or cord related but a power management issue. Resetting the power manager helps for a while until it happens again a day or a week later. Try it. Unplug and remove battery. Hold down power button for 5 seconds. Plug in cable and wait until the lights show it is functioning, then put the battery back in. At least for me it always starts charging/recognizing the battery.

I'm extremely gun shy about Airport firmware updates, more so than any other Apple updates. Bit hard by the last one. I'll wait this one out for a week.

Mine has a built-in battery circa mid-2009 update. It's still happening, but not all the time.