Can I clone a Mac drive which is crashed

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A few days ago my Laptop felt from my bed and since then its creating problems while running. One of my friends said my hard drive has some physical problems.

But, I want to clone my drive before I give it for repairing. So, my question is- can I clone my Mac disk in this condition.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Sure?

The, uh, condition doesn't really matter. As long as the software doesn't crash midway through the operation due to a deficiency in either the drive parity or its physical status, it will, obviously, still be able to create the clone.

If you're worried about how the extra use of the drive itself that comes from creating the clone will affect its condition, don't be. Of all the uses of a dying hard drive, making a clone of its contents is the least frivolous.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rallion123 View Post

A few days ago my Laptop felt from my bed and since then its creating problems while running. One of my friends said my hard drive has some physical problems.

But, I want to clone my drive before I give it for repairing. So, my question is- can I clone my Mac disk in this condition.

This is why Apple created TimeMachine. If you had run it you wouldn't have had this problem now. Even if you seem to succeed in making that clone now, you won't know that it is not corrupt until you have successfully restored and thoroughly checked it. But if it turns out it IS corrupt, you're screwed.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Achim View Post

This is why Apple created TimeMachine. If you had run it you wouldn't have had this problem now. Even if you seem to succeed in making that clone now, you won't know that it is not corrupt until you have successfully restored and thoroughly checked it. But if it turns out it IS corrupt, you're screwed.

Thanks for reply.

I haven't used TimeMachine and thats my mistake. I am going to use a third party cloning application. There are cloning applications like Stellar dirve clone , SuperDuper, CCC. Let me try them one by one and see the result.

I can't take any risk with my data.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rallion123 View Post

I can't take any risk with my data.

Exactly!

Hard- and software can be replaced.

Data can't.

Good luck, and keep us posted.