How can I make sample of speech?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I would like to record some computer generated speech for subsequent processing in an audio app. But for the life of me I cant find a way to record what I can speak in SimpleText. Is there a utility to do this anywhere?

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    AFAIK, there is no software solution for this. I believe the reason is that Apple doesn't have any hooks to record the system's playing audio.

On this subject, Andrew Welch has said, "The engineers at Apple told us that what we want to do isn't currently possible with the public APIs for OS X. They also stated that they understand our desire for such a feature, and may offer the capability in the future. In the meantime, a $5 cable from Radio Shack that you plug from your speaker output into your microphone input will do the trick!"
  • Reply 2 of 5
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    If your Mac doesn't have sound in you need something like a Griffin iMic (USB sound input). Then simply connect the sound out to sound in and record. I suggest recording in OS 9 with Coaster (free). There are a few apps which record in OS X but as yet you can't easily control sound settings in OS X.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    bibendumbibendum Posts: 10member
    Hi guys, sorry to bump this old thread, but i'm trying to record speech too. I have an iMic, but I'm really clueless how to use it. Could someone explain in more detail how to configure the sound in/sound out? Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 5
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    This topic is well covered on Apple's web site using AppleScript.

http://www.apple.com/applescript/macosx/text2audio.html

Edit: No wires or cables needed. In OS X with AppleScript you can create AIFF files directly from text.

• Reply 5 of 5
    bibendumbibendum Posts: 10member
    Hey that's perfect, thanks