Connecting a HDTV to Macbook Air via a Thunderbolt Display

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi there,

I am curious if a setup as such will allow me to switch between a thunderbolt display and my HDTV:

Macbook Air > Thunderbolt Display > [ Some thunderbolt device, e.g. Lacie SSD ] > HDTV (via a Thunderbolt to HDMI adaptor)

These facts I already know:

1) That the thunderbolt controller in Macbook Air will only support 1 external display

2) That even for Macbook Pros where 2 displays are supported, a second non-thunderbolt display can only be connected at the end of the daisy chain behind another thunderbolt device for it to work

I know the MBA will only support one external display, question is, can I choose which I want to activate - the Thunderbolt display, or the HDTV - in the Mac OS display settings? I DO NOT need both active at the same time, will only use one at a time so am happy to switch between.

OR will such a setup not work outright - i.e. Mac OS will not see/list my HDTV.

Ideas anyone?- whether I get a Macbook Air or a Macbook Pro all hinges on the answer to this question.. thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Help anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    It can't be done. Just plug and unplug.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    May I ask if you are answering from experience?- have you tried it?

Problem with plugging/unplugging is that I intend to connect my ethernet connection and firewire HDDs etc to the Thunderbolt display, disconnecting it to connect my HDTV would mean losing all those connections.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sensires View Post

May I ask if you are answering from experience?- have you tried it?

You can't switch between two displays connected in series. You can't choose which will be on and which won't. I don't know of a single computer that can do that (though I don't know of any non-Apple computers that can even have displays connected in series? ) without something like a reverse KVM box.