iCloud not equal to iMatch, so screwed

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Cliff Notes: Apple's shittastic service improvements leave user screwed.

So I originally had one ID with Apple years ago, not a me.com or anything else.

Then I signed up for Mobile Me. They gave me a me.com address....but I always signed into iTunes with my original ID, so I now had 2 ids.

Then I did the transfer from Me to iCloud. This id is ONLY associated with the [email protected] address because of how they transferred it.

But I just signed up for iTunes Match since I was signed in with my original fucking id.

So now I can't sync with my four devices.

Thanks a fucking lot Apple. I paid for your shit me.com service and you move my accounts forward like a llama pooping a rat and leave me with two services THAT DON"T FUCKING MATCH.

This is screwed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I have at least FOUR Apple IDs. When iCloud was announced, iTunes Match was announced at the same time. It was also announced that the service would be US only. I could choose to activate iCloud using any one of the four Apple IDs I wanted, or I could add a new Apple ID (that would have been dumb). Since I wasn't an idiot, I made sure that I activated iCloud using my US iTunes Apple ID. Now everything is fine.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    You know ... You can CHANGE the ID you use for iCloud ... you can use the one you use for iTunes. You'll have to do this on each device, then re-sync everything ...

There's really no problem unless you're trying to merge to different iTunes accounts ... which can't yet be done.

Some people are just LOOKING for stuff to complain about.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    For what it's worth, I'm still using the same AppleID I created for use with iTools (11 years ago).

I'm not certain where all the ID proliferation started, and perhaps Apple could have done a better job, but I think the users have to accept some responsibility too.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

For what it's worth, I'm still using the same AppleID I created for use with iTools (11 years ago).

I'm not certain where all the ID proliferation started, and perhaps Apple could have done a better job, but I think the users have to accept some responsibility too.

To be fair, those of us who have lived in more than one country, or who travel a lot, or who want to have access to multiple iTunes stores in different countries because of content differences, might have a legit excuse.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

To be fair ... might have a legit excuse.

An excuse for the situation you're in?... yes.

An excuse to whine about it?... no.

I'm sure Apple would love to let you combine accounts... they'd have nothing to lose. It would please the customer and make their own "bookkeeping" incrementally easier.

But the content licenses that they negotiated with content owners in various other countries does not allow for it. You could easily argue that it is the content OWNERS that are making things difficult. They (EMI, Virgin, Sony, et al) don't wish to extend a single license across multiple borders, so Apple is not allowed (by contract/law/agreement) to combine your German account with your US account, with you AU account.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

You know ... You can CHANGE the ID you use for iCloud ... you can use the one you use for iTunes. You'll have to do this on each device, then re-sync everything ...

There's really no problem unless you're trying to merge to different iTunes accounts ... which can't yet be done.

Some people are just LOOKING for stuff to complain about.

You can change your ID for iCloud? Perhaps, but not to an existing iTunes ID.

Example: I logged into iCloud, clicked my ID. Clicked Apple ID. Which takes you to:

https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/We...MyAppleId.woa/

Then you 'manage your account'.

Apple ID is unchangeable.

Primary Email Address is changeable, but if you use an existing Apple ID email address you get:

"Email address is already verified for another Apple ID."

So, I don't see what you are talking about.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Perhaps, but I think Apple made a big mistake here and many users will be in the same 'tard filled boat with me. We expect Apple to think this kind of thing through so we don't have to.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

You can change your ID for iCloud? Perhaps, but not to an existing iTunes ID.

Example: I logged into iCloud, clicked my ID. Clicked Apple ID. Which takes you to:

https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/We...MyAppleId.woa/

Then you 'manage your account'.

Apple ID is unchangeable.

Primary Email Address is changeable, but if you use an existing Apple ID email address you get:

"Email address is already verified for another Apple ID."

Don't you just go to System Preferences, iCloud, Sign Out, then Sign In with the other ID? I understand there's a time limitation about how often you can do that... but you can definitely do it at least once. Maybe you're on a PC, in which case I guess you would do it from iTunes instead of System Preferences, but the same thing, basically.

And on the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch it would be Settings>iCloud>Delete Account and then create a new iCloud account with your other ID?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I'm talking about deleting iCloud on all your devices ... then re-signing in to iCloud... this time, use the ID that is associated with your iTunes account for iCloud also.

How friggin' hard is that?...

There's just no problem with this thing unless you have multiple iTunes accounts... but that was a bit of a nightmare even before iCloud.