Pulled article claimed LG will make displays for 'iPad mini' & 4-in. iPhone

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

And yet even when Steve made that comment, Apple seemed to have no issues with offering a couple of products in the iPhone and the Touch with very small screens yet they are designed to perform many of the same tasks as the iPad.

Did Apple offer to file down customers' fingertips to better make use of those devices? Missed it if they did.

He was talking about downscaling the iPad UI. iPhone apps usually have a different interface made for the smaller screen, and Apple didn't want to add a third interface.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Hypocracy at its best.

Hypocracy - government of hippos.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

He was talking about downscaling the iPad UI. iPhone apps usually have a different interface made for the smaller screen, and Apple didn't want to add a third interface.

And yet it is viable to provide touchscreen functionality on a screen smaller than 9.7 inches otherwise why does Apple offer small products like the iPhone and Touch with such technology.

I agree with Mr. Jobs that 9.7 inches is the ideal size for a device like the iPad but I think you can go larger than the current Touch and still have a significant amount of portability. Such a device has merit. What is questionable, though, is the validity of a 7-inch tablet that is not portable enough and less enjoyable to use than a larger iPad.

Jobs was wrong, though, to argue that one couldn't make a touchscreen interface work on a 7-inch screen. If that were the case, then the iPhone or Touch should be utterly unusable and that is not the case. Sticking with the 9.7-inch screen, though, was the right move when the iPad was launched and it should remain the iPad's basic form factor, which I'm sure it will.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Jobs was wrong, though, to argue that one couldn't make a touchscreen interface work on a 7-inch screen.

He never said that they couldn't make it work on a 7-inch screen.

Most apps have different UIs when running on iPhones and on iPads - optimized for the screen size.

What he said was that Apple didn't want to introduce a third UI optimized for 7-inch screens (more work for the app developers), which means that a 7-inch iPad would either upscale the iPhone UI (ugly and with very big buttons) or downscale the current iPad UI.

Downscaling the current iPad UI wouldn't work very well because buttons and more would be too small, which is why he mentioned the sand-papering of the finger tips.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    i think people would buy a 7" or even a 5" ipad (iphone?)

i would love a 5" iphone. why? cuz i want a tablet/phone that i can take to meetings, etc, and basically have with me 24/7

the current iphone screen is too small for that and ipad too big. i could carry 5" phone in my pocket.

the samsung Note would be ideal if it was made by Apple and actually worked well.

people want good products. a good 7" tablet would sell. a crappy 7" would not. that's what the other vendors can't figure out...
  • Reply 66 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i think people would buy a 7" or even a 5" ipad (iphone?)

i would love a 5" iphone. why? cuz i want a tablet/phone that i can take to meetings, etc, and basically have with me 24/7

the current iphone screen is too small for that and ipad too big. i could carry 5" phone in my pocket.

the samsung Note would be ideal if it was made by Apple and actually worked well.

people want good products. a good 7" tablet would sell. a crappy 7" would not. that's what the other vendors can't figure out...

Must admit after trying a few peoples 7" tablets I do find them an uncomfortable size for me to type on(which I can just about manage on the IPAD). Personally what I would really like is for apple to work out a way to get rid of the border around the iPad while

a, still avoiding light bleeding through and

b, keeping good battery life without increasing the depth

This could give a 10" tablet while still knocking 2" or so off the iPads dimensions. For that I would update my 1st gen IPAD
  • Reply 67 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themind View Post

Must admit after trying a few peoples 7" tablets I do find them an uncomfortable size for me to type on(which I can just about manage on the IPAD). Personally what I would really like is for apple to work out a way to get rid of the border around the iPad while

That border is there because you need somewhere to put fingers/thumbs while holding a tablet of any size. I don't really see any way around that from an ergonomic perspective.

• Reply 68 of 68
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

That border is there because you need somewhere to put fingers/thumbs while holding a tablet of any size. I don't really see any way around that from an ergonomic perspective.

Being a multi-touch device I always wondered if iOS software could not be smartened up to understand where your thumb is touching the screen while holding it - and ignore those touches.

It might be perfectly OK to obscure some small part of the screen while holding it. Certainly for reading text where many e-readers have a white border around the text anyway.

And it's no big deal to move your hand a bit when you want to read what's below your thumb. That is how many people read magazines or books anyway. It works there.

Might not work for games that need some kind of touch-and-hold functionality, but those are typically not played while holding the iPad with the other hand in mid-air. For that kind of gameplay requiring touch-and-hold functionality you would likely prop the iPad up against your legs or put it on some other surface anyway.

With smarter iOS software I think a bezel-free iPad could be made possible.