red light on motherboard?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, so my Mac Pro won't run. The screen does come up after awhile, and when it does, the gray screen looks like a shade being pulled down. It starts to spin and doesn't do anything else.

I can't get it to access the CD tray or anything. I did see what looks like a Red light right behind the power button on the front of the case. The Red light appears to be on the mother board, any thoughts on this?

Skip

PS IF you have an answer how to fix this, feel free to call me on my Toll Free line. I'll be in for an hour or so (8:300ish Eastern Time)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

I did see what looks like a Red light right behind the power button on the front of the case. The Red light appears to be on the mother board, any thoughts on this?

Could be an issue with your RAM:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Flip down the side and try removing the RAM riser card and make sure it's all secure. If it still does it, remove all the RAM chips and start putting them back in one or two at a time.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Could be an issue with your RAM:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Flip down the side and try removing the RAM riser card and make sure it's all secure. If it still does it, remove all the RAM chips and start putting them back in one or two at a time.

Thank you. Since posting I have done the following.

- Cleaned out, no change

- Removed all memory, no change

- Removed video card, no change

- Reset SYS_ switch, no chance

From what I can find out, it's looking more and more like the power supply is bad. Now it's a matter of trying to get a new power supply for a good price and where to get it.

I have gone to ebay, but they don't say "G5" 2.5ghz power supply, at least I haven't found one that does yet.

Skip