New 21.5" iMac's support another display with an adapter?

xaoxao
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I see the new 21.5" iMacs have the new Thunderbolt port, but can I get one of Apple's Mini-Display port to DVI adaptors and hook up a second monitor to the iMac?

I'm struggling between a MacBook Air & an iMac for my next purchase, this might just be the deal breaker, I understand you can do this with the MBA, correct?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Of course. Thunderbolt is backwards compatible with virtually any port and device that you can imagine.

Mini DisplayPort, DVI, VGA, HDMI, DisplayPort, USB, FireWire, Ethernet (even!)?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Can it run two external monitors?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Can it run two external monitors?

A 21.5" iMac? Sure. Daisy-chain a Thunderbolt monitor and another of any kind or use a third-party splitter.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A 21.5" iMac? Sure. Daisy-chain a Thunderbolt monitor and another of any kind or use a third-party splitter.

Uh oh! It sounds like it's time to upgrade my 2010 21.5" iMac. I run with one external monitor now, but would really like to have a third one.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Uh oh! It sounds like it's time to upgrade my 2010 21.5" iMac. I run with one external monitor now, but would really like to have a third one.

You can use a splitter with that, too.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can use a splitter with that, too.

Can you point me to one?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Can you point me to one?

Matrox' DualHead2Go is the only one I know, but it's apparently fairly good.