Klez virus

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have the Klez.H virus - I found out when the virus sent a message to a list I'm subscribed to. Having done a bit of research, the virus doesn't seem to affect Macs, but do I need to actually remove the virus somehow?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    [quote]Originally posted by natasha cho:

<strong>I have the Klez.H virus - I found out when the virus sent a message to a list I'm subscribed to. Having done a bit of research, the virus doesn't seem to affect Macs, but do I need to actually remove the virus somehow?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you using a Mac? I don't believe that you could possibly have the virus. More likely somewhere out there an infected PC has both your email address and the listserve's email address in its address book. The virus picked your name at random as the from address and the list as the too.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    Yeah I thought I was infected with this virus too on my PC, but it turns out its someone that has my email address at a nearby college. It spoofs the from address on the message to appear as if they are being sent by you when in actuality they are sent from some other source. Sometimes it will spoof the "returned mail: undeliverable" to you. At least that is my understanding and conclusion after trying 3 or 4 anti-virus programs with every known definition file on my PC. And as the other poster said Macs don't seem vulnerable to this as it takes advantage of flaw in IE5 in Windows launching attachments automatically during previewing of email message.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I do have a Mac. That was what was confusing me. I know the virus doesn't affect Macs and I certainly hadn't noticed any effects (eg I was able to go to anti-virus websites to find out info re: the virus). So the spoofing thing sounds on-the-mark. Thanks for the advice, folks.

Tash
  • Reply 4 of 4
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    I recently received an odd message "from myself", as well. Mine had "test" in the body, too. I couldn't figure out what any of that was about until I came across this thread.