Repairs Overseas 2008 MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I moved my 2008 MacBook Pro 15 with me to Costa Rica in late 2008. Recently the video card (NVIDA?) went bonkers. The Apple Hardware Test said it was solely the video card.

I ran Tech Tool Pro and it also agreed the problem was the video card. Apple offered a special 4 year warranty on those video cards because of a defect.

I took the unit to the authorized repairer in C.R and they kept it 2 weeks. They now say it is not just the video card but the logic board, memory and hard drive have failed and the unit will not boot, even with external hard drive and memory. They said to just come and pick it up.

If anyone has had similar experience, please share. I could probably get it to the U.S. for repairs but not worth repairing if I have to buy the video card.

Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frazier View Post

I moved my 2008 MacBook Pro 15 with me to Costa Rica in late 2008. Recently the video card (NVIDA?) went bonkers. The Apple Hardware Test said it was solely the video card.

I ran Tech Tool Pro and it also agreed the problem was the video card. Apple offered a special 4 year warranty on those video cards because of a defect.

I took the unit to the authorized repairer in C.R and they kept it 2 weeks. They now say it is not just the video card but the logic board, memory and hard drive have failed and the unit will not boot, even with external hard drive and memory. They said to just come and pick it up.

If anyone has had similar experience, please share. I could probably get it to the U.S. for repairs but not worth repairing if I have to buy the video card.

Thank you.

My 2008 15" MBP had the classic faulty video board symptoms this year. A NYC Apple store verified this but would not do a free replacement given the time frame, however did give me a deal where for a small set price (I forgot what but it was around $300) they would take it and return it with everything in it guaranteed for 30 days, which I took. I was not happy with the length of guarantee but for such a small cost they indeed did this and I was back in business. I would look into that. I would bet no way are all off those things that the shop claims was faulty were all true! : ) Sounds very fishy that you now have a MBP that is worse than when you took it in.