OS 8.6 Keeps Asking for Zip Disc

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A friend is running a 333Mhz GE with OS 8.6 (yea, I know, I told her) and she tells me that everytime it boots up it askes her to insert one of her old Zip discs.

Is there some way to get it to stop doing this? Rebuilding the desktop and zapping the PRAM were the only things I could think of...neither of which worked.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    i'm sure this isn't the case, but make sure the startup disk (startup disk control panel) isn't set to the zip disk.

also make sure nothing in the startup items folder is an alias of something on the zip.

hope i helped.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    [quote]Originally posted by Michael Grey:

<strong>A friend is running a 333Mhz GE with OS 8.6 (yea, I know, I told her) and she tells me that everytime it boots up it askes her to insert one of her old Zip discs.

Is there some way to get it to stop doing this? Rebuilding the desktop and zapping the PRAM were the only things I could think of...neither of which worked.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This some times happens when software is installed by drag and drop instead of from the installer disk.

There may be a system preference somewhere that is looking for the zip disk.

You could try moving preferences out of the preferences folder until you figure out which one it is.

Start with system preferences, probably one of those.

Also the advice about items in the start up folder was good.

Hope that helps.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks for the help. I walked her through the process of taking her entire Prefs folder out, creating a new one and just copying over only those prefs I thought she needed. It seemed to work.

Thanks again.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    [quote]Originally posted by Michael Grey:

<strong>Thanks for the help. I walked her through the process of taking her entire Prefs folder out, creating a new one and just copying over only those prefs I thought she needed. It seemed to work.

Thanks again.</strong><hr></blockquote>

OK. She may find that some applications have forgotten her registration now. Just drop the pref back in and she'll be ok for most. There are some apps that create invisible preferences files to handle registration tho, so she will either have to register them or make them visible and then move them or copy the whole folder back.

Hope this helps.