Apple teases worldwide Black Friday sale

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has begun putting up teaser pages on its online stores for a "one-day shopping event" that will take place around the world this Friday.

The Cupertino, Calif., company is keeping holiday tradition alive this year with its annual Black Friday sale, though it has yet to reveal what items will be on sale this Friday. Commonly referred to as Black Friday, the last Friday of November is usually the biggest shopping day of the year in the U.S.

For now, Apple says only that customers will discover "amazing iPad, iPod and Mac gifts" during the one-day event. The teaser page has appeared on a number of Apple's international online stores, including Australia, Italy and U.K., and the U.S. store is expected to receive its own banner within hours, as noted by MacStories.

Apple's Black Friday deals last year were fairly modest: $101 off iMac, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air systems, $41 off the iPad, a $21 discount on iPod touches and $11 off the iPod nano. Other deals included small discounts on accessories such as wireless base stations, keyboards and the Magic Trackpads and Magic Mouse.

Traditionally, third-party retailers have undercut Apple's promotion with their own discounts for the start of the holiday shopping season. AppleInsider will have full coverage later this week. For instance, an ad for Best Buy's Black Friday sale has reportedly leaked online. According to BFAds.net, the big-box retailer is offering $45 off the iPad 2 and $150 off a limited supply of iMacs and MacBook Pros. The Apple TV will sell for $89.99 and a limited number of $100 iTunes cards will sell for just $80.

Apple is widely expected to set new sales records this holiday season. One recent survey found that the company's iOS devices rank at the top of kids' wish lists this Christmas season.

In its most recent quarterly earnings conference call, Apple said it expects revenue of roughly $37 billion in the December quarter. Given that the company is known for its conservative estimates, some industry watchers believe Apple could top the $40 billion mark this quarter for the first time in its history.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Apple's mild black Friday deals are nothing to get excited about. But I'd buy anyway
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Especially conservative now since they missed their estimates last quarter.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    A black friday sale? More like a kinda black friday sale. I have never seen apple cut prices very much on their products. Actually I have seen bigger discounts for students than non student people buying with a discount, weather its a black friday or just a refurb model.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

A black friday sale? More like a kinda black friday sale. I have never seen apple cut prices very much on their products. Actually I have seen bigger discounts for students than non student people buying with a discount, weather its a black friday or just a refurb model.

Yup. The Education Store has every day Black Friday pricing! Forget about getting a job - enroll in college.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

Some people over estimated but that is another issue.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Is the black Friday discount on top of student or Government/military discount (if eligible for either)? Does anyone know?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    With Apple Stores being as packed as they are on normal shopping days Apple could raise their prices by 10% this Friday.

Actually, I might use this opportunity to get another iPad 2 over a refurbished 1st generation. I think the resale value of the 2nd gen. and additional features enough to make the added initial price worthwhile.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Is the black Friday discount on top of student or Government/military discount (if eligible for either)? Does anyone know?

No, I read on another forum that it wasn't. The people who do get the edu, government and military discounts can't really complain though, because those people basically have the discounts all year round.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

With Apple Stores being as packed as they are on normal shopping days Apple could raise their prices by 10% this Friday.

Actually, I might use this opportunity to get another iPad 2 over a refurbished 1st generation. I think the resale value of the 2nd gen. and additional features enough to make the added initial price worthwhile.

That would be hilarious if Apple jacked up their prices by 10% just for this Friday. I personally wouldn't care, because I am definitely not going to be setting foot into any Apple store on Black Friday.

Black Friday is overhyped though, IMO. I wonder if anybody will get trampled in some store this year? Some people act like lunatics just to save a couple of bucks, and good deals can be found year round on many of the items, if people are savvy shoppers. I'm not just talking about Apple items here, but in general.

I was looking at the Best Buy ad for Black Friday, and when you read the small print below the iPad, it says, minimum of 5 per store. I'm sure that some stores will have more than that available, but technically, some stores may only have as little as 5.

I'm not in the market for any iPod Touch, but Best Buy had a pretty good deal for the newest 8 Gb iPod Touch. Theirs is $195, plus you get a $50 BB gift card. That's pretty cheap for an iPod Touch if somebody also puts that gift card to good use.

I also agree with you going for the iPad 2 over a refurbished first gen.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That would be hilarious if Apple jacked up their prices by 10% just for this Friday. I personally wouldn't care, because I am definitely not going to be setting foot into any Apple store on Black Friday.

Apple's Because We Can ad campaign.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple's Because We Can ad campaign.

• Reply 12 of 22
    They'll probably take $10 off their products. I don't think it'll be anything to rave about. I've been thinking about getting a macbook air so I'll definitely check out their prices this Friday.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    MicroCenter has already knocked $50 off of iPads, though you have to buy them in-store. The first sign of the Amazon Fire effect, perhaps?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

No, I read on another forum that it wasn't. The people who do get the edu, government and military discounts can't really complain though, because those people basically have the discounts all year round.

We've gone in to Apple stores on several occasions - all stores we have visited, "no military discounts". which is sad, but doesn't keep us from buying a solid product from apple.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reneex13 View Post

We've gone in to Apple stores on several occasions - all stores we have visited, "no military discounts". which is sad, but doesn't keep us from buying a solid product from apple.

I think they only offer it online.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Want to do better than even the Black Friday posted price when you shop at the Apple Retail Store? Ask! Check ads for other stores or even online to find the very best advertised price you can, then show the info to the employee assisting you. Make a specific dollar offer. They may have to clear it with a manager and see from your Apple ID how much stuff you've bought in the past, but it's good odds they'll play ball with you. Offering to buy AppleCare is a sweetener. It works even if you go in a couple days after BF. Just be nice, even if they say no.

(Disclaimer: Not responsible if you screw this up and some big, burly dude chucks you out the door and halfway down the block.)
  • Reply 17 of 22
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I got 40% off an external 1 TB hard drive last year. Sometimes the accessories have decent rebates.

Is the special only online or will it be in AppleStores also?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    $2 discount. Horray.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

$2 discount. Horray.

Only if you're a $5 spender.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

I believe the only estimate they missed was the number of iPhones sold. Every other estimate they exceeded just fine - iPads, iPods, Macs, revenues and profits.