Changing Computer Name

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How can I change my computers name? During registration you enter your name but it automatically adds 'Computer' at the end. How can I change this? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    [quote]Originally posted by foneroot:

<strong>How can I change my computers name? During registration you enter your name but it automatically adds 'Computer' at the end. How can I change this? Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

In MacOS it's under FileSharing Contol Panel.

I'm not in OSX at the moment but I believe it is the same there.

Hope this helps.

AIO
  • Reply 2 of 4
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,959member
    If I am not mistaken you go System Preferences--&gt;Users--&gt;Edit User. Then simply change the name in the top blank. The short version below is not editable. To change that you have to create a new user identity, use the corrected short version, then delete the original identity. This also hoses all your other preferences in your Home and it's a PIA to get everything right again. The short version is what it used to identify your Home window. Good Luck and let me know if this works.

:cool:
  • Reply 3 of 4
    fonerootfoneroot Posts: 102member
    [quote]Originally posted by AllInOne:

<strong>

In MacOS it's under FileSharing Contol Panel.

I'm not in OSX at the moment but I believe it is the same there.

Hope this helps.

AIO</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks! It's something like that, I just poked around a little. It's under:

System Preferences &gt; Sharing &gt; Computer Name

All set now Thanks again.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    That doesn't change the log-in name for the administrator. if i had known this would leave the login name as my first name plus the first 2 letters of my last name i would have entered something else. I tried to change it but couldn't-wierd.