Will OS 10.2 and G5 support the 10.1 apps ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm wondering something. Will the G5 and OS 10.2 able to run older 10.1 apps ?

I mean, suppose I'm using some application designed to run in OS X, version 10.1 (FreeHand 10, for example), will I be able to run it well in OS X version10.2 without needing to upgrade the application too ? And what about the G5 ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    No. None of the apps will work. Everything will have to be completely re-written. The move from 10.1.4 to 10.2 will be just as dramatic as the change from OS 9 to OS X. Even more so, because there will be no Classic mode - absolutely no 10.1 apps will even run at all under 10.2. Amazing, huh?

[end sarcasm mode]

Are you talking about the 64-bitness or something else? My understanding is that the G5 is supposed to have backwards compatibility, so it shouldn't be a problem. And I even doubt if the G5 Apple uses will be 64-bit at all, but that's just me.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Hah! I hope they would work, or else apple would take a shit-load of criticism!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by RyanTheGreat:

<strong>Hah! I hope they would work, or else apple would take a shit-load of criticism!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Of course it will be compatable...Apple would be stabbing itself in the back if it wasn't.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    what's a G5?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Kali -

The straightforward answer to your question is yes. The reason why people are giving sarcastic answers is because there is absolutely no circumstance whatsoever under which the answer could be no.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Yeah 10.2 and the G5 are going to break all compatibility with current apps. And of course 10.2 will not be out until the G5 is ready.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Yep. They are still running on the Unix architecture, so nothing there will be changing...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    [quote] And of course 10.2 will not be out until the G5 is ready. <hr></blockquote>

Hmm... this could be awhile...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong> I even doubt if the G5 Apple uses will be 64-bit at all, but that's just me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I love all shit Apple get's from Apple loyalists. It's funny. Everybody wants every possible device in every size from a company that holds about 3% of the market, and when they deliver say 3 requests from users, then it's always where is my this - where is that - what happened to the product from the rumor site - this is not good enough. with any luck reality will set in those few that are just over axious, but for some it's a fvcking mental handycap.

None of that was directed towards BRussel. It was a generalization about the whiners that come to this site. I grabbed that line above to say this:

I have no doubt's that it will be a 64bit processor. I'm hoping that the first generation is a 64bit, but I have no inside connections at Apple, IBM, or Motorola. So it's anybody's guess.

I just had a flash of light in my mind that said to me that Apple should be trying to get their 64Bit machine out first.

Being that the whole world thinks that MWSF is a reasonable guess for a launch date on the G5. I'm going to say that I believe that Apple want's it before then, and will probably announce it before Jan SF 2003 as to try to beat the rest of the bunch.

But It will be after NY.

That's my revised guess.

[edit] Oops... And now to stay on topic. Of corse it will be backward compatable.

It' not a stupid question though. Half of these people remember when Apple said it would be backward compatable, and to make exitsing apps true 64bit would take a simple recompile for the most part.

Which means they will work, but the will all probably be full on 64bit apps with in a few months of it's release.

[ 03-13-2002: Message edited by: onlooker ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jayjay Posts: 27member
    I haven't been around in a while. I thought the G5 has been out for ~6 weeks, right? I read that last time I was here...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Really.. The new software bundles give developerrs to distribute the same app-bundle (like a FAT-binary but not) to different platforms. IF G5-optimized apps could not be run on a G4 or previous platform and vice versa, the bundle will consist of two executables.. one for the newer platform and one for the older.. there's even room for x86 and executables for any other platform if OSX (Well Cocoa at least) was ported to those platforms. The same App-bundle can be run on multiple platforms. his is a non issue, Apple made sure of that when buying NeXT quite some years ago.