Help setting up FTP

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I turned on FTP in sharing, and now my IP to login dosent seem to be working. I use a router and when I put in 192.168.1.2 it works fine but that is a internal IP. Any idea why my external IP isnt working for FTP? Isnt that what I should be using? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: foneroot ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    posterboyposterboy Posts: 147member
    Your router is blocking the attempt to access your FTP server. The router acts like a firewall, so you have to punch a hole through it.

You need to log in to the router and map ports 20 to 21 (the two default network ports for FTP) to the server machine (192.168.1.2).

One this is done, when you send the FTP request to your IP (from outside), the router recieves it, sees that it is using Port 21, and relays the request to the specified computer. It is a lot less compliacted than it sounds.

There should be some documentation on the subject in your routers manual.

--PB

[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: PosterBoy ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 2
    fonerootfoneroot Posts: 102member
    Ahhh. Thanks. I have an inavtive server that I'm networked too and a little while ago I had FTP on it and my router was forwarding to 192.168.1.3 so all I had to changed was the .3 to .2 and it works great. Thanks again