iPhone incoming call contact picture

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Most of my contacts have a picture associated with them. Previous to iOS 5, the picture would always appear small in the upper right corner of the screen like this:

But since iOS 5, when a call comes in, the picture is fullscreen and really distorted. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a fix?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Most of my contacts have a picture associated with them. Previous to iOS 5, the picture would always appear small in the upper right corner of the screen like this:

But since iOS 5, when a call comes in, the picture is fullscreen and really distorted. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a fix?

I am guessing that you sync your contacts with I-cloud which automatically makes the photos full screen whatever the resolution. If you turn off I-cloud sync and update your contacts with your mac contacts this "should' resisze the photos - well it worked for me!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Thanks, I'll try that. But if that's the case, isn't that kind of stupid? Why would the pictures ever need to be full size? They are only ever used as thumbnails on both the phone and iCloud.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Thanks, I'll try that. But if that's the case, isn't that kind of stupid? Why would the pictures ever need to be full size? They are only ever used as thumbnails on both the phone and iCloud.

You have the choice and some like a full size pic popping up when the phone rings - better to have a choice even if it isn't to everyone's taste
  • Reply 4 of 6

I've been searching the internet for a clear explanation on what makes iOS contact photos appear full screen vs. the smaller contact photos in the corner for incoming calls.

I would like my photos to appear full screen. 

Using Photoshop I've created 1500px x 1500px square photos with the subject in the middle of the photo. The high resolution photos are stored in a 'contacts' album which I created in iPhoto and syncing via a manual sync of the iPhone to my Mac Book Pro. I then manually update my most contacted people with their high res photos from the local 'contacts' album.

My contacts are generally synced via gmail exchange, which may be automatically degrading the quality of my photos to 96px to 96px.

I'm not sure what's happening!

• Reply 5 of 6

So at this point it seems to mainly be a Google Apps issue. Gmail contacts sync works high res, both images from the internet and Photoshop works high res, CardDev or Exchange works high res.

• Reply 6 of 6

change a phone or update the system would be ok