in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

IP abuse

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-sourc...d-android/9945

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Patents protect your IP from poaching by competitors. While I don't like the endless patent battles Apple is playing the game just like any other company would and some would say "should" as enforcing your Trademarks and Patents is in ways required or they become worthless.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    What Murch said. And the linked article is pretty much content free, ignoring the relative merits of any given case in favor of a blanket "Apple is suing the competition therefore the must be trying to do something unethical" take.

Here's a question: given the tenor of the article, what would you suggest a company do in the face of rampant copying? Apparently the mere fact of litigation is evidence of an effort to unfairly restrict competition, so even straight-up cloning would be a matter for the "market to decide", I guess.

I think I should be able to publish books by copying best-sellers and making a few editorial changes, then selling them for slightly less. If I get sued for copyright infringement, I'll make a lot of noise about being bullied by over-powerful publishing interests. Let the market decide!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think I should be able to publish books by copying best-sellers and making a few editorial changes, then selling them for slightly less. If I get sued for copyright infringement, I'll make a lot of noise about being bullied by over-powerful publishing interests. Let the market decide!

Barry Plotter here I come! I'll make MEEEEEEEEELLIONS!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The market only decides which is the cheapest. The law decides who is the owner.