WARNING: Android, BB and Nokia RootKit Installed By Default Logging What You Do

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...logging-video/

Make of it what you will. Screw this Android nonsense. I'm not surprised about this.

And BB is supposed to be "secure" and planning to make "secure" software. What a joke.

Excerpt: "Though the software is installed on most modern Android, BlackBerry and Nokia phones, Carrier IQ was virtually unknown until 25-year-old Trevor Eckhart of Connecticut analyzed its workings, revealing that the software secretly chronicles a user?s phone experience ? ostensibly so carriers and phone manufacturers can do quality control.

But now he?s released a video actually showing the logging of text messages, encrypted web searches and, well, you name it."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    So they know the age, name, and location of the guy… because the software tracked him. Got it!

How long, I wonder, before something similar is discovered about Apple? I mean, sure, we have the "Locationgate" nonsense… I guess if anything like this was actually going on with the iPhone OS, we'd've heard about it four years ago when they first started hacking it.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So they know the age, name, and location of the guy? because the software tracked him. Got it!

How long, I wonder, before something similar is discovered about Apple? I mean, sure, we have the "Locationgate" nonsense? I guess if anything like this was actually going on with the iPhone OS, we'd've heard about it four years ago when they first started hacking it.

Yeah, it could happen to Apple. But at this stage comparing Apple vs Android, with Android, BlackBerry and Nokia having clear evidence of fraudulent privacy invasion, I think I'll go with Apple.

"Locationgate" was concerning but even then it was just recording towers/wifi networks/ whatever not your actual GPS position. And Apple came clean. Just like they did with "Antennagate".

What are Android, Nokia and BB going to say about this recent revelation I wonder?

I'd stick with the lesser of most evils, ie. iOS. We've also got the iPhone Dev Team which has literally scooped all the guts out of iOS and gone through them with a fine-toothed comb. Plus other parties like those that discovered "Locationgate". iOS is scrutinised pretty finely. Android is just a smorgasbord of the unknown... Given code can be mangled at will by the carriers, manufacturers, whoever.

This is actually pretty disgusting. I'm quite disturbed about this.

I love the Wired commenters who are usually pro-Android going into denial mode. Something about "Oh, you have to turn debugging mode on" and stuff like that.

I propose this be a Featured article on AppleInsider. Hopefully not by DED... No offence DED, but we need a balanced, thorough look at this. And how Apple is or isn't doing the same and how we can find out.

This is a bl**dy key logger for ****'s sake!

Can you imagine if this was discovered about Apple? It would be on the front page of EVERYTHING. People would be going ballistic!