Future Future Hardware: Bio-computers

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
We all know why the brain is so powerful. Neurons connect to many other neurons in a 3d space. Each neuron makes many connections with other neurons. In this way a brain could be compared to a computer system that when all linked up, can process so much information at a time... in parallel. Tbhat's what makes a brain so powerful. Each neuron is not only a mini processor of information and sences but also a storer of information.

I believe in the future we will be using some form of biological computer. With the advances in DNA research and cloning it will be possible to genetically alter certain forms of bacteria to be more prone to linking to each other and exchanging information with each other much like neurons in our brains do. The method of linking up can be determined in the DNA. They can be programmed to send out certain signals when other signals are recieved by them. They would need to be fed so living in some sort of neutral fluid would be necessary and when one is close to dying, since they are asexual , it can begin to make it's offspring with the correct function of the original for it's replacement. There would need to be some kind of electronic interface with outside peripherals and display devices. But upgrading the hardware would consist of adding more biomatter and to expand it's function you would simply install the proper software to tell it how to emulate a certain function. It would be that adaptable.

Of course something like this is more than a few years away. But 10 years ago we would have laughed at a concept like this. With all the recent developments it doesn't seem as wierd and in 10 years, there may be more progress made in that field. I say this is a technolgy that is maybe 50-70 years off for a full fledged bio computer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Bio computers are nothing new, its just that the technology is extremely hard to develop, and at the moment, it is no way near matching IBM 110Ghz chip.

This Isreali (is that how you spell it?) team of scientists developed tiny biocomputers, that when coupled toghether to fill the space of a test tube, operate at the speed of a couple of Ghz.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 3 of 23
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    Please READ: The age of Spiritual Machines

Trust me, you'll like it.

Ray Kurzweil's ideas and thoughts are really inspiring, scary, and most importantly thought provoking. There are questions asked in the book that HAVE to be addressed today.

One section of the book speaks about DNA computers, and how they're working now, but only solving simple problems. He talks briefly about combining the huge storage and redundancy safegaurds of the DNA based computatioanl device, with quantum compution (another advanced technology that's solving simple addition problems today).

The book also covers our current understanding of how our brain works, and how we're going to surpase it in the next 10 years (we could do it today if we had the GRID up and running).

The human DNA strand as we understand it today is mostly useless data, and the part that builds protiens and other complex molocules that build our entire body accounts to about 23 megabytes of digital information.

Sounds too simple right? Anyone know of the travelling salesman problem? take x number of cities and try to visit each one once while keeping travel distance between them at the absolute minimum, and never visit the same city more than once. to do this problem with 1000 cities we would need a computer the size of the universe (ever atom being a transistor), and it would take longer than the life of the universe to compute. But that's just with our current transistor based computational devices. Using a 1000 qubit quantum computer this would take no time at all, and getting the answer would take a few billionths of a second.

Just read the book. You'll start to look around you and SEE these things happening, today. It's a scary thought that the human mind is doomed, but then again, evolution solves problems faster than the universe does, we've evolved computers faster than evolution evolved us. We've beat evolution with technology by a factor of millions, and technology WILL to beat us the same way.

Here's a link to a teaser from the book, actual text:

<a href="http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/k/kurzweil-machines.html"; target="_blank">http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/k/kurzweil-machines.html</a>;

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: JasonPP ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 23
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    I thought the future of computers was quantum computers? I had read that a calculation on one of todays supercomputer would take hundreds of years, but on a quantum computer would take a mere minute.

Something about that bits could be 1, 0 or both at the same time. They sounded insanly fast.

Anyone know anything more about quantum computing, and if it will come before or after bio computing.

Ben
  • Reply 5 of 23
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    JasonPP I read that book. In fact i own it. I read about 5 years ago and have some thought provoking ideas in it. I should unpack it and read it again. Thanks for reminding me I had it !
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Actually, on a Quantum computer, it wouldn't take any time at all. getting the information OUT of the computational machine would take some time, as would testing to make sure you got the right answer.

Here are some more excerpts from the book (chapter six will give you the Quantum computer answers you're looking for, but remmember this was published in 1998, and it's all VERY old news, chapter one will explain that):

<a href="http://www.penguinputnam.com/static/packages/us/kurzweil/excerpts/exmain.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.penguinputnam.com/static/packages/us/kurzweil/excerpts/exmain.htm</a>;

Quantum computers are really well suited for linear problems like cracking encryption, but not very suitable for things like pattern recognition, that's where a DNA computer would be better. Read the above link for more info.

Sincve this book IBM announced a 7 qubit quantum computer .. wow.. here's the PR release :

<a href="http://domino.research.ibm.com/comm/bios.nsf/pages/quantum.html"; target="_blank">http://domino.research.ibm.com/comm/bios.nsf/pages/quantum.html</a>;

at 40 qubits, that's supercomputer class, 60 qubits and that's a million trillion simultaneous calculations. (that's out of the book... )
  • Reply 7 of 23
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    [quote]Originally posted by JasonPP:

<strong>Quantum computers are really well suited for linear problems like cracking encryption, but not very suitable for things like pattern recognition, that's where a DNA computer would be better. Read the above link for more info.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So then which computer is our future? Will computers that a user uses in 10 years be made from bio, quantum, or same as today?

I know that no one here knows the answer, but i am a bit confused by JasonPP's comment. Does the mac I use today work more linear or more like "pattern recognition"? I would guess more linear, because you give it a command, and it goes through and does that, right?

Thanks,

Ben
  • Reply 8 of 23
    mr.emr.e Posts: 20member
    Not sure if this info is correct or not, but remember reading that the human brain uses the frequency of 400-450Mhz. Which is what my Pismo runs at; if only it could read my mind?
  • Reply 9 of 23
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    Can bio-computers get sick or get cancer...???

Imagine: My computer has the flu...

that would suck...

------------------------------------

© FERRO 2001-2002
  • Reply 10 of 23
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    cyborg man gets the shit beat out of him.

<a href="http://slashdot.org/articles/02/03/14/2051228.shtml?tid=172"; target="_blank">ouch!</a>
  • Reply 11 of 23
    I think a bio computer can be configured to run precise computations. Remember the strength of bio computers; parallelization. It can run dozens of simultaneous calculations and isolate the most common or average.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    I think we'll see bio computers with a quantum daughtercard.. much like the 4400 DOS mac.

MSKR
  • Reply 13 of 23
    [quote] I believe in the future we will be using some form of biological computer. <hr></blockquote>

Not Apple users... We'll remain in the real world and not some Sci Fi fantasy shiza... I'm not up for this 12 monkeys matrix crap - it just won't happen...
  • Reply 14 of 23
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    We'll see usable quantum computers a long, long time before biological computers, but in both cases we're talking decades.

Until we can start reasoning on a level way beyond that achieved so far, the benefit of biological computers is incredibly limited. We have to understand our own thought processes before the technology can achieve it's potential.

Quantum computing is just brute force. Using multiple states and massively parallel computations. Our current understanding of computers makes this more practical to develop, and it's much more suited to the vast majority of tasks we currently use computers for - crunching numbers.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Biological computers will not become popular untill we can cure everything that can affect them cheaply (maybe permanently) and quickly. Otherwise you are going to have your hard drive die of cancer...or it could die of a virus infection...if we use bacteria then phages would become a big concern...etc. Plus you don't want to spray lysol anywhere near it...
  • Reply 16 of 23
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Oh yea...TImeline by Michael Chricton is a good read...though you wont find out much about Quantum tech in comps it is still a sweet book.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Well obviously the bio matter will be sealed in a container with filters to filter out waste and feed tubes to introduce food. The only way to contaminate would be to introduce something bad to the feed or filter tubes.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    For bio-comps to become mainstream, they'd have to be faster than digital comps. That means, with all their neurological processes, they'd be able to discover the answers to problems (like their own sicknesses) very fast. Eventually I think they could induce immediate immunity to common colds and flus, and then to complicated cancers and diseases; perhaps they could show us better ways of approaching our own sicknesses and cures.

the future is scary. i'm gonna hide.

-george dietrich
  • Reply 19 of 23
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    [quote]Anyone know anything more about quantum computing, and if it will come before or after bio computing.

Ben

<hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.almaden.ibm.com/st/projects/quantum/intro/"; target="_blank">http://www.almaden.ibm.com/st/projects/quantum/intro/</a>;

<a href="http://www.ibm.com/news/2000/08/15.phtml"; target="_blank">http://www.ibm.com/news/2000/08/15.phtml</a>;

IBM's Almaden group are god-like. IBM is about 10 years ahead of real-time. Then again, with their R&D budget, I could buy several small Latin-American countries each year...

And here's one on Quantum Teleportation

<a href="http://www.research.ibm.com/quantuminfo/teleportation/"; target="_blank">http://www.research.ibm.com/quantuminfo/teleportation/</a>;

The gist of QC is you have several atoms bound together (molecule) and you use NMR fields to align them all. The spin of the electron, depending on rotation/alignment, represent a 1 or 0.

But each one of those atoms can be a 1 and 0 at the same time. This is called 'superposition of states.' In fact, they ARE a 1 and zero at the same time, until you measure the spin. Then, and only then, does the spin become absolute.

Besides this, QC uses another quantum property called entanglement.

When properly aligned, and a calculation is given via radio frequencies, if one atom is, say, a 1, the other atom's values, because they are bound together in a molecule,are known. So if you have a 1 and 0, by switching the 1 to a 0, the 0 is now known to be a 1.

lame diagram:

before after

00 11

01 10

10 01

11 11

etc but think of a giant, 3 dimensional processor made from, say, 128 qubits.

The end result of the freakish quantum physics properties is a computer than can perform certain calculations, ones that would take all earth's computers more than the life of the universe to calculate, in a single step. As already metioned, they are non-linear, meaning instead of adding a trillion numbers one at a time, it would add them all together at the same time.

Cryptography, which uses 4096+-bit prime numbers, will be the first casualty of QC.They are also adept at sorting and searching.

Weird stuff, really fascinating.

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 23
    thuh Freak and Spart:

I don't think you understand.

Bio computers are not computers specialized towards biological problem solving, or synthetic brains that breath smog and eat McDonalds crap. They are machines built using organic molecular structures like those found in DNA.

Combinig the immense redundancy of a DNA based computer with the near infinite parallelism of quantum computng would be amazing.

Imagine if each cell in your body had more computational power than all the human brains in the world combined. That's getting close to the possibilities.