What do I need to set up airtunes with a airport express?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I found a new airport express on craigslist for $40 bucks. I bought it for my dad because he doesn't like using an ipod but has over 5,000 which would be easier to use streaming from the computer to the stereo.

Any way he has an Imac, a stereo and an airport express. I need to buy another wireless router because the stereo is not in the same room as the computer. He also doesn't want to cut a hole in the floor to run the cable. Can it be any router? I was thinking of just getting him a midlevel Linksys for $60 bucks. You can get awesome ones on ebay for cheap but it needs to be done this weekend as we don't live in the same state.

What else would I need? I am also giving him my girlfriends old iphone 3g so he can use for the remote app and hopefully use as an ipod in the car.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I'm not sure why you'd need ANOTHER wireless router.

You'll most likely need a cable to go from a stereo mini-jack (like a headphone jack on your iPod) that splits to two (L & R) RCA jacks for the stereo.

Is his iMac plugged directly into the cable/DSL modem? (via ethernet).

If so... you could just turn on Wi-Fi in the iMac, set the iMac up as a Wi-Fi base station (I THINK Apple calls this a "private network" maybe?... not sure)... That will then be able to "talk" to the airport express across the house.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I'm not sure why you'd need ANOTHER wireless router.

You'll most likely need a cable to go from a stereo mini-jack (like a headphone jack on your iPod) that splits to two (L & R) RCA jacks for the stereo.

Is his iMac plugged directly into the cable/DSL modem? (via ethernet).

If so... you could just turn on Wi-Fi in the iMac, set the iMac up as a Wi-Fi base station (I THINK Apple calls this a "private network" maybe?... not sure)... That will then be able to "talk" to the airport express across the house.

Yes, the imac is plugged into an ethernet port. The living room and the computer room are on opposite sides of the house(not sure big just 1,400 sq ft). I did not know you could use your mac as a base station.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crzdcolombian View Post

Yes, the imac is plugged into an ethernet port. The living room and the computer room are on opposite sides of the house(not sure big just 1,400 sq ft). I did not know you could use your mac as a base station.

sure can... perhaps an easier way would be to just go ahead and set the Express up as a base station .... but without any internet access (just a LAN) ... then connect the iMac to that network via AirPort (WiFi). The iMac will still get it's internet via Ethernet, and be able to play through iTunes via WiFi.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Couldn't stop reading, very captivating.