I too have FIREWIRE prob- after dvdao4 it won't go out

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently installed a DVD-r 104, pioneer drive that I bought seperately. I have a G4 dual 500. I'm running 9.1 and using Final Cut 2.

ever since I installed the DVD I can't use my thinrd monitor with the firewire out through a sony media converter . . . also my TRV900 doesn't workeither . . . in fact it seems that all of the firewire out capabilities are caput. though I have limited ways of testing that. but I tried the cable through different ports.

I even switched the firewire enabler and support extensions FW 2.8.5 as opposed to 2.7) from my 9.2.2 hardrive.

Do I need to get my firewire card fixed or replaced?

is there a known problem with firewire and these DVD drives?

what can I do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    "ever since I installed the DVD I can't use my thinrd monitor with the firewire out through a sony media converter"

sorry.. i got confused... a third monitor?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I have two CRT monitors, for palettes etc, and since I work in video I have a NTSC video monitor to preview the video. This is the problem the video will no longer preview out of firewire to the NTSC monitor, nor will it capture through the Firewire and camera,

a new development: I tried to set it for capture even though it said it didn't recognize the FW and it came back that the two extensions, --which I know that I have since I added them several times from the restore disk--, are not there?!??!!

I'm thinking about re-installing the whole OS, but I'm wondering if maybe its something I don't know about that I can fix easily: I have alot of stuff on this disk and I don't feel like spending alot of time reinstalling it if I accidently loose it.

any ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    This is an IDE internal DVD drive, correct?

What happens when you unplug the DVD drive?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    good question..

but unfortunately I can't get to that till Fri . . . too much stuff and work for the next day and tonight.

I'll get to it though...........
  • Reply 5 of 6
    OK... so I unhooked my DVD drive . . .(well not all the way, but I unhooded the main EIDe (the grey cable)) and I still coouldn't get firewire to connect

I also tried to do it by replugging teh cable and merely taking teh jumper off . . and same (but also the DVD drive wouldn't read a cd either))

don't know what to do... but wait till I win the lottery and can afford FCP3 for OSX............

help anyone?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    and I re-installed my OS-9.1 and still it will not recognize my FW out or in!?!??!?!?

please help! advice?

again, it works in OSX but I can't afford FCP-3 (and can't get it to work as a pirate version.... don't want it that way anyway )