FW HD enclosure--purchasing advice...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
suggestions?

is <a href="http://64.177.120.61/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_4&products_id=105"; target="_blank">this</a> a good deal?

Also, what HD should I buy? im looking for a 7200 around 100 gigs, im looking for best price/performace/capicity... thnx4urhelp

-Paul

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    splodesplode Posts: 13member
    Hey.

Well, it depends. Do you want bus powered? Or is another cord okay? Do you want/need USB?

I have a ADS Pyro firewire enclosure I got at CompUSA for $99. I currently have a CDRW in it, but am planning on getting another for a HD. It works great, though it does need to be plugged in and doesn't have USB II: Electric Boogaloo.

splode
  • Reply 2 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    well, what i'm planning on doing is when I go to college set up the hd, keyboard, mouse, and speakrs on the desk and then just plug them into my iBook (or PB depending...) when im at the desk... Ideally, I would like to access the HD when I'm wireless... but I dont think that can work unless i have another comp... but the problem with that would be the speed of the drive...

so in short, no I wouldnt mind having to use AC power... USB would be nice, but isnt necesary as I would have F/W on the computer...

thanks

-Paul
  • Reply 3 of 8
    prestonpreston Posts: 219member
    I went to my local computer store and they had a 3.5" FW drive enclosure for C$150 ... so no, thats a pretty crap deal.

You wouldn't need AC power if you got a 2.5" drive enclosure (laptop drive)... it could be powered through the bus.

Pres.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    You should probably go for the Other World Computing 5.25" Mercury enclosure. I have two ADS Pyros, but there were a pain at first. The supplied power cords were loose fitting s they wouldn't always have good contact. Luckily I had spares. Also the Pyros have the IDE connector mounted upside down so you need to twist the ribbon cable to orient it the right way.

<a href="http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=1445&Item=OWCMFW5"; target="_blank">http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=1445&Item=OWCMFW5</a>;

I'm not sure if there's an exhaust fan like the ADS Pyro. The fan in the Pyro is nice...keeps the drives cool.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Thanks Eugene, that looks like what I'm looking for...

Now in terms of Hard Drives...

An Opinions about IBM? $150 for 120 7200 seems like a good deal, but I dont want it to die on me after a year, I plan on keeping this drive for at least 4 years +....

<a href="http://www.dealnn.com/redirect.php?id=3578"; target="_blank">link</a> thanks again

-Paul
  • Reply 6 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I don't think I would buy an IBM HDD right now...with Hitachi's purchase of that entire division, support will be kind of weird. I just sent in an old Deathstar 75GXP for RMA and I sent it to IBM...but who knows what's going to happen in the coming months...

If I were to buy a 120 GB HDD, I'd go with the Western Digital 1200BB or JB. I have no idea about Western Digital relibility though.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    i'm not looking for a 120 gig per se, that just happened to be a deal I saw... Im looking for anything over 60 (if its real cheap) preferably at least 80.... price is my main concern tho, I dont want to spend more then $300 total if I can help it... thnx
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I absolutely love the drive enclosure I got at Firewire Depot. And then I went and got Maxtor drive from Office Depot. They usually have good deals and I haven't had a problem with Maxtor yet (have two drives).

The drive is the BT35-911 and it is sleek, silver, and cool. It is marked down to $105 right now. The fan is a little noisy (but that is relative). I love the thin form factor though. It has two firewire ports and does have an adaptor. It works fast enough (copies 300 MB within a minute or less).