Delete root account!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. Today while in NetInfo Manager, I accidentally deleted my 'root' user. (Don't ask) I immediately started getting error dialogs telling me that no root user account existed--repeatedly. Knowing that this is supposed to be the worst thing you can do in OS X, I immediately created a new one.

How?....I duplicated my main login account user and (while referring to another computer's NetInfo screen, I added and deleted Properties/Values so it exactly matched. My error messages went away and now everything is running fine. I've re-logged in to my main login username, I've rebooted, and still all is well.

But I still don't trust it. Can anyone pleeeease tell me what I can expect from this potential tragedy? What should I have done? What should I do now?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    If things are working, I don't know if there will be any lasting damage. The first thing that I thought of was that because the root user was deleted all files owned by it reverted to something else. What that something else is, I have no idea. If you managed to survive a reboot, you may be ok. But it might be best to back up and reinstall, just to be on the safe side.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Okay, I have developed one minor problem. I can't recognize any other computers on my ethernet network thru AppleTalk. TCP/IP works fine and that's what I use mostly anyway to connect to other computers and my two printers.

Still, I'd like to get it working again. No matter what I try, AppleTalk refuses to work, even in Classic. What do I need to reset to get it working again?