US judge says Samsung tablets unlikely to attract Apple's customers

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 176
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

I know some native South Koreans who have better English reading comprehension than you do. And you know what, I'm not joking either.

Oh yeah, who would those people be now? Not the ones I knew who graduated from MIT but whose English was still around an IELTS band 7-9. If you said you knew some people of Korean descent who were raised from infancy in an English-speaking country and had been educated there, your claim might have a bit more credibility.
  • Reply 162 of 176
    Quote:

More shrill chest thumping. But seriously, South Beach Diet is an invention?

To be honest I have no idea what a South Beach Diet even is. But I do know what a personal computer is. Ridiculous nationalistic claims will be met with the facts. Call it chest-thumping if you like. At least we have something to thump about.
  • Reply 163 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radar View Post

Oh yeah, who would those people be now? Not the ones I knew who graduated from MIT but whose English was still around an IELTS band 7-9. If you said you knew some people of Korean descent who were raised from infancy in an English-speaking country and had been educated there, your claim might have a bit more credibility.

Aw, you can just admit it. Don't be embarrassed. But alas, your American pride won't let you. I understand.
  • Reply 164 of 176
    Quote:

To be honest I have no idea what a South Beach Diet even is. But I do know what a personal computer is. Ridiculous nationalistic claims will be met with the facts. Call it chest-thumping if you like. At least we have something to thump about.

I kid. I kid. You are entitled to your chest thumping. But just don't do it literally. Like a mountain gorilla.
  • Reply 165 of 176
    Quote:

Look I admire American ingenuity. Don't get me wrong. But spare me the Atkins Diet and South Beach Diet. That sorta diminishes what you're trying to convey.
  • Reply 166 of 176
    Quote:

Aw, you can just admit it. Don't be embarrassed. But alas, your American pride won't let you. I understand.

Well I'm prepared to admit it if you can find me all these native-born and educated Koreans who can speak English so beautifully. None of the Korean professors I knew at SNU could, so I admit I'm a bit curious. Actually, I hope you're right, that would be an wonderful example of committed study! Perhaps you should try their methods yourself!
  • Reply 167 of 176
    Quote:

I didn't say they could speak English well. I said their English reading comprehension is top-notch. At Yonsei (a non-top 50 university according to your sources), I saw a native Korean ace the reading (verbal) section of the GRE.
  • Reply 168 of 176
    Quote:

Look I admire American ingenuity. Don't get me wrong. But spare me the Atkins Diet and South Beach Diet. That sorta diminishes what you're trying to convey.

Hey like I said I don't have time to list every American invention or pick out the obviously unimportant ones like South Beach Diet. Did you see the size of that list? I have better things to do with my time.
  • Reply 169 of 176
    Quote:

Hey like I said I don't have time to list every American invention or pick out the obviously unimportant ones like South Beach Diet. Did you see the size of that list? I have better things to do with my time.

Just be careful about not diminishing America's ingenuity. Maybe you could parse through that list and get rid of the Atkins Diet, which Dr. Atkins died from I think. Oh well, you have better things to do so don't mind checking the list.
  • Reply 170 of 176
    Quote:

I didn't say they could speak English well. I said their English reading comprehension is top-notch. At Yonsei (a non-top 50 university), I saw a native Korean ace the reading section of the GRE.

GRE? Is that actually supposed to impress me? Reading is the simple stuff and GRE is a joke. Where's this great English language literature he's written lately? Where are the Pulitzers, Bookers, and Nobel Prizes in Literature native Koreans have written so beautifully in English? I could go to Yonsei or SNU or Postech today and lay a smack down on pretty much any native born and raised Korean in English writing, reading too. So could a whole lot of other westerners.

That said, it goes without saying they'd demolish any English speaker in the Korean language. I would never be so arrogant to say that a native born English speaker could speak Korean better than an educated Korean.
  • Reply 171 of 176
    Quote:

You can thank American technology and Americans and British and Canadians and Indians and Australians and more for saving your country from North Korea in the 1950s.

If you wish to insert a discourse on 1950s history, I'd like to offer a few facts. If North Korea hadn't become a communist state, then the US, British, Canadians, Indians, Australians, Turkish, and other UN peacekeeping forces would not have come to the Korean peninsula at all. The commie threat from the Soviet Union was so great that the US came and intervened like it intervened in Vietnam. But was it done for the sake of South Korea? I don't believe so but I'm grateful that they came for whatever geopolitical security reasons they had at the time. Maybe the US didn't want to lose Japan to the communist threat. Even back then, the US was very enamored with Japan. By golly. The Attack on Pearl Harbor is more like the gift that keeps giving to the Japanese than "a day of infamy." How come you like your World War II enemies so much, America? What did they do for you? Korea fought in Vietnam on the American side. Japan didn't.

You see what's happening in Iraq as the US pulls out? Political infighting and instability. So guess what happened when the Japanese occupiers left Korea at the end of World War II? You guessed it. Political infighting and instability. 35 years of being occupied by Japan made conditions even worse.

Who made money off of this political infighting and instability in Korea like gangbusters? Japan did because they supplied all the food and military supplies to the U.S. army during the Korean War. Japan's GDP tripled and quadrupled during that time. So you mention that Koreans have a victim mentality. Honestly, I don't blame them. Their former brutal occupiers were being treated like dear friends by the U.S. while profiting from a devastating civil war that was caused by those same brutal occupiers. Now you see the source of all that embitterment? You think Iraqis think fondly of the U.S. for liberating/occupying them? So Koreans don't think fondly of the Japanese. Period.

But the Americans don't know this and come to South Korea and tell the folks, "You gotta be like the Japanese. They're doing great things. They get along with us. Why won't you?" Yep. Great way to make a good first impression on a Korean. And it's funny how everybody, and even you, never fail to compare the Koreans to the Japanese and say, "The Japanese are better. Your country sucks." So Americans really take the "Love thy (former World War II axis of evil) enemy" to heart. Very touching.

So when Hyundai/Kia sell more and more cars in the US, there's a tinge of resentment towards South Korea. Yet, Japan sells far more cars in the U.S. than South Korea does but that's perfectly fine. "Come, come Fuji-san, Keiko-san. Sell more Toyotas. We like. We like. You bombed Pearl Harbor. Respect. Your Lexus cars kill us but it's our fault, not yours." Do Japanese buy U.S. cars? No. Do South Koreans buy U.S. cars? No. Are you irate at Japan for this? No. Are you irate towards Korea for this? Yes.
  • Reply 172 of 176
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Wow...this thread derailed and went off into the woods for sure.
  • Reply 173 of 176
    Quote:

If you wish to insert a discourse on 1950s history, I'd like to offer a few facts. If North Korea hadn't become a communist state, then the US, British, Canadians, Indians, Australians, Turkish, and other UN peacekeeping forces would not have come to the Korean peninsula at all. The commie threat from the Soviet Union was so great that the US came and intervened like it intervened in Vietnam. But was it done for the sake of South Korea? I don't believe so but I'm grateful that they came for whatever geopolitical security reason they had at the time. Maybe the US didn't want to lose Japan. Even back then, the US was very enamored with Japan. By golly. The Attack on Pearl Harbor is more like a badge of honor for the Japanese than "a day of infamy." How come you like your World War II enemies so much? Korea fought in Vietnam for the American side. Japan didn't. But Japan gets all the praise as the most precious ally.

American empire-building aside, those foreign men (Americans, British, Thai, Indian, Australian, and 13 other nations) who came as part of the United Nations force, came so voluntarily. I'm not saying that I like the reasons behind what America was doing there, but most of the men came (unlike the current Iraq War) because they truly believed the people needed their help. As you know many never got home. My uncle was one of them. Yes I know about the Koreans in Vietnam. I always saw the Korean war as a necessary and defensive response to an outright invasion. In the case of the Vietnam War it was the Americans doing the invading, and IMHO we destroyed a good country that posed no threat whatsoever to us. We should be ashamed of the American politicians who started and continued it. 4 million Vietnamese were killed and 50 thousand of our own, and for what?
  • Reply 174 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Wow...this thread derailed and went off into the woods for sure.

Yeah I guess it did. Oh well, it's been fun.
  • Reply 175 of 176
    Quote:

GRE? Is that actually supposed to impress me? Reading is the simple stuff and GRE is a joke. Where's this great English language literature he's written lately? Where are the Pulitzers, Bookers, and Nobel Prizes in Literature native Koreans have written so beautifully in English? I could go to Yonsei or SNU or Postech today and lay a smack down on pretty much any native born and raised Korean in English writing, reading too. So could a whole lot of other westerners.

That said, it goes without saying they'd demolish any English speaker in the Korean language. I would never be so arrogant to say that a native born English speaker could speak Korean better than an educated Korean.

So you don't need high GRE scores to go to Stanford? No?
  • Reply 176 of 176
    Quote:

So you don't need high GRE scores to go to Stanford? No?

I didn't go to Stanford.