OSX: on iBook or external FW?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey.

After years of mucking about in the Classic swimming hole, I'm wanting to jump into the Olymic sized pool filled with pure clean OSX goodness.

But, I'm seeking advice on what to install where. (Is the backyard of my iBook big enough to put in an OSX pool?)

Here's the rundown.

- iBook 500/66, 384 mb RAM, a 10 gig HD (just 9.x) with a new external 80 gig firewire HD

- used primarily for mickey-mouse stuff, surfing in bed, Word-y stuff, digital camera, etc. Occasionaly used for Photoshop (6), games, etc.

Here's what I was originaly thinking. Keep (or re-install) 9 on the iBook and install OSX on the firewire, as well as partitioning it up a bit. Use to play with X.

But, I'm wondering if I should just make the big leap and put X on the iBook, and use the firewire solely for archival/back-up with system(s) installed for emergencies, etc.

So, here are my questions.

Should I run 9 or X on the iBook? My concerns are space, as the 10 gig HD may not be big enough for X/Classic/apps/digital-camera-and-mp3s crap.

If I run 9 on the iBook, how should I partition/set-up the FW for X?

If I run X, will there be space enough, or should I run only X, w/o Classic and depend on the FW for using Classic apps?

Lastly, being new to X and anything *nix-y flavored (though long experienced with Classic (God Save Classic!)), any suggs for books, pages, sites?

Any help or links would be appreciated.

Thanks!

splode

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I cant help much, but i want to second splode's concerns... I'm going to be in pretty much the same situation... thanx for your help!

-Paul
  • Reply 2 of 3
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    X will be sluggish, but i feel it runs fine on my g3450 - 10.2, which i have tested, will be *very* speedy and you will have no problems

if your firewire drive is bootable go ahead and install X on it, or you might want to install X on the ibook and leave the 80gig for classic- which you probably have many more programs for. after installation i'm sure you'll be able to select startup disk from the system prefs or control panel (os x and 9 respectively), as long as your drive is bootable.

books? nah. i've heard good things about "OS X: The Missing Manual" if you're set on a book though.

sites?

<a href="http://www.macosxhints.com"; target="_blank">www.macosxhints.com</a>

<a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx"; target="_blank">www.apple.com/macosx</a>

versiontracker.com

fink.sourceforge.com

enjoy os x, you'll never look back
  • Reply 3 of 3
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    I had X+9+Apps all installed on my iMac's 10 GB drive, there's definitely enough room, and if you ever get into video (or just run out of space), you've got you're 80 gig drive.