ZIF G4

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm thinking about getting a ZIF G4 card for my B/W G3. THe card is a Sonnet 500 MHz card. Are there any known problems with the B/W G3 and this card? If there are, can they be fixed, and where can I get the fix.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    altivec_2.0altivec_2.0 Posts: 995member
    I'v seen on Spec sheets from apple that the G4 cards are not supported for Mac OS X. They might still work. I guess the only way to find out is buy one and see what happens. Otherwise, if you can find someone that uses one and it works for them. That's probly your best bet.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    It should work fine, I've seen that running in a B&W G3 before. Apple says unsupported because they shouldn't have to support a computer that has a third party processor in it.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    will faster ZIFs for B&W's ever come?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    bernardbernard Posts: 59member
    Think Powerllogix got a 533/550 from OWC for ~$280.00 runs fine at 625/250 with no fan runs good @ 666 too just have USB problems fan and thermal compund might fix that? they are the only ones using the 7410 small less power consuming G4 and Sonnet is a no overclock chip I think. PL doesn't care or void your warranty.

my 2¢.....
  • Reply 5 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well, overclocking is fine and all, if you're into that sort of thing. In fact, I am overclocking my iBook (just need to move 4 resistors for 600/100.) I thank you for that info on OWC. So, NO fan is needed!? no active cooling?

BUT, 625mhz doesn't even come close to today's Macs. That's two years ago technology. I've heard of the 733's for the Sawtooths, but I'm sure plenty of B&W owners are waiting for either reasonable prices on the outdated crap the companies are selling, or new upgrades. I mean, the inventories of all these companies has been static for years. Are they still selling things? How do they stay in business? With Piccolo drives?

The biggest upgrade out there for any computer at all seems to be a Dual 500 Sonnet Duet. That's a joke considering the dual 1 Ghz. That particular upgrade is over a year old, anyway. Or is it over 2 years old?

I'll probably wait till MWNY anyway, but I just hate to relegate my trusty Smurf G3 to the dust bin. It's still kickin' arse in 9, but I want to finally get X (Oh God, I tried it out on a Dual 1ghz with Cinema Display.. Let me just say, anyone who complains about performance is anal)

Is this the beginning of the end for upgrade companies or what? First Newer (I know they're "back", but I'll believe it when I see it), next it might be PowerLogix, then Sonnet, eventually OWC, Xlr8, and others. Are the chips just too expensive? I mean, someone (Apple, Mot?) is killing the upgrade companies. This pisses me off.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bernardbernard Posts: 59member
    [quote]So, NO fan is needed!? no active cooling?

/QB]<hr></blockquote>

not in my case but I have now mounted a fan and can do 666Mhz ok. if this chip was in a blue and white @ 650 it would out perform either 733 I think.

anyway the guy was asking about zif upgrades and PL is a better deal...