Pismo: updated OS 9.0.4 to 9.1 and now slow and buggy

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i have a bunch of apps that ran really nice on 9.0.4 and so i left it alone for as long as i could.

finally i was forced to update the OS to 9.1 so that i could load a few new apps.

everything is sh!tty now.

very slow and buggy.

am i just b!tching or does someone have some helpful hints for me?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by bluesigns:

<strong>am i just b!tching or does someone have some helpful hints for me?</strong><hr></blockquote>Well, seeing as you didn't give any real-world, concrete examples of your problems, I'd say yeah you're just bitching.

On the other hand, have you considered trying some of the newer post-9.1 updates? Remember, we're up to 9.2.2 now.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bluesignsbluesigns Posts: 315member
    "real-world, concrete examples of ...problems"

well, a simple example is that when i launch ANY program it takes 4-5 times longer to open than it did beffore.

and then another simple example is :

once Outlook is open and i click to retrieve my messages it pauses like it's processing the comand for 15 seconds before it actually starts retrieving.

freezes and crashes are much more common in general now.

"have you considered trying some of the newer post-9.1 updates?" [ i.e. 9.2.2]

yes, i've considered it but have not done it because i was running a delicate balance of audio, video, graphics and productivity apps, some of which conflict with 9.2.2. and was trying to NOT decend into upgrade conflict hell.

400mhz pismo 192mb ram, Photoshop6, illustrator9, flash5, office, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    [quote]Originally posted by bluesigns:

<strong>i have a bunch of apps that ran really nice on 9.0.4 and so i left it alone for as long as i could.

finally i was forced to update the OS to 9.1 so that i could load a few new apps.

everything is sh!tty now.

very slow and buggy.

am i just b!tching or does someone have some helpful hints for me?</strong><hr></blockquote>

How did you upgrade? Did you do a clean install? Did you rebuild the desktop? Did you zap the PRAM? How much memory/free HD space is there?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    bluesignsbluesigns Posts: 315member
    i did not do a clean install, did not rebuild the desktop, didn't zap the PRAM.

i was trying to preserve all my preferences but i guess that's not gonna happen.

"memory/free HD space is there?" [2 partitions weighted 70/30%]

i don't know exactly how much is free cause when i select my drives and hit "command+i" nothing happens.

just like when i click on the desktop and "command+f" i get no sherlock.

or "command+N" and i get no new folder.