Is there truth in Apple to buy PPC rumour?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well the header sums it up,

For those who don't know, Apple has the right to buy Motorolas PPC development come Summer. Is this a verifiable fact, or is it just a rumour that has been bounced around so much we all think its true?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    never saw it anywhere but MOSR so I would say its a rumor. It would be a pretty dumb agreement by Mot if they had agreed to that. Nevermind the fact that IBM owns all the rights to the PPC
  • Reply 2 of 5
    This rumor always sounded like bunk to me. Why would Motorola agree to give up rights to the PPC and Altivec? Motorola makes lots of money off their embedded PPC processors, many of which use Altivec.

Sure it would probably be better for desktop PPC performance if Apple could buy the rights (and engineers), house them at Cupertino, and have Steve Jobs lord over them 24-7. Suddenly the Somerset team would be churning out 10 GHz G6s bristling with 20 Altivec units...but somehow I don't see this happening.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    LOL yeah, Steve would scream at them until they cried/produced.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    Who would Apple have to blame next year when they offer a 2Ghz chip when Intel is at 4-5Ghz?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by JasonPP:

<strong>Who would Apple have to blame next year when they offer a 2Ghz chip when Intel is at 4-5Ghz?</strong><hr></blockquote>

They wouldn't blame anyone. They'd just remind us of the "Megahertz Myth".

J :cool: