splitting MP3 files

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

a couple of years ago i put all of my vinyl onto minidisc, and now i want to convert these to MP3. No problem with getting the music into my new iMac (USB line in adaptor running under OS9 - why oh why won't OS X support USB line in/out?), except it comes in as a single MP3 file covering 74 minutes of music.

Anyone know of a good cheap MP3 splitter program? there seem to be many for PCs, but none that I can find for the iMac. I did try using iMovie as you can splt soundtracks, only i couldn't find a way to export the splits.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Rather than split the MP3, save it all in a redbook format like AIFF or WAV. Then just use one of the shareware audio editors like Amadeus to split that file into the individual songs -- then compress the individual songs into MP3s.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    bernardbernard Posts: 59member
    Open them in quicktime player select the first song (use the tiny triangles (if you have never done it before)) copy oer cut,new player, paste, name it, do the next. when your done use itunes to fill out the I.D tags if you want.

May need quicktime pro?

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: bernard ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by iMac David:

<strong>Hi,

a couple of years ago i put all of my vinyl onto minidisc, and now i want to convert these to MP3. No problem with getting the music into my new iMac (USB line in adaptor running under OS9 - why oh why won't OS X support USB line in/out?), except it comes in as a single MP3 file covering 74 minutes of music.

Anyone know of a good cheap MP3 splitter program? there seem to be many for PCs, but none that I can find for the iMac. I did try using iMovie as you can splt soundtracks, only i couldn't find a way to export the splits.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

David</strong><hr></blockquote>

Check out <a href="http://www.mCode.de/edit/"; target="_blank">mEdit</a>. It allows you to edit mp3 files without decoding them first. You should be able to simply crop each song into a separate file.

Hope this helps,

Darren

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: Darren Smith ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 5
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    You could also use Audion. It has a built in mp3 editor.

<a href="http://www.panic.com/audion/"; target="_blank">Audion</a>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    imac davidimac david Posts: 286member
    Thanks for the comments guys.

I did upgrade to QT Pro recently - now why didn't I think of that?!?! Perhaps because I'm new to macs?

And is just me, but is the lack of line-in support under OS X really dumb? I mean, if the iMac really is the 'digital hub' then a line in/out is a necessity. My old PC was hooked up to my amp for decent sound, and it is frustrating that my iMac can't do it (unless I run OS9 and use a USB line in/out converter).

Cheers

David