G4 discounts = new Macs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just priced out a new Dual 1Ghz on the phone with the Apple store and they were willing to knock $150 off of the price if I order today.

Hmmm...

especially tempting if I do it through the Educational channel.

Apple Store online:

Dual 1 Ghz and 17" LCD (less $300 discount) = $3,746

(plus or minus a few other extras)

Over the phone:

Same setup - Edu discount - $150 = $3273

Very tempting!

Comments all...

Chas

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: Macmedia ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Since apple said no new hardware for a while I don't think it means much.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Looks like buyers are holding on for the next revision, for DDR and the mythical G5.

Apple needs to stimulate sales, thats all. Dropping prices by 25% would be a start - $3000 for dual 1Ghz is a hell of a lot really, but I'd guess it's to prevent another iMac fiasco.

Isn't irony great? :cool:
  • Reply 3 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    any money you save is lost in the taxes you have to pay b/c you bought it through the apple store....
  • Reply 4 of 9
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    the reason i find for apple doing this:

they aren't shipping any iMacs (barely anything) and that is really hurting them. so, they're doing all they can to sell their other products to try to make up. if they don't, then their fiscal quarter would/will be bad

this is why i think there is a 50% chance of something new or updated at MWTY. even though they earlier said they wouldn't update, they may need to update to spur some more sales
  • Reply 5 of 9
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    i'm an idiot

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: Max8319 ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    $3K for a high-end box, even one as great as the PM, is just plain silly. Especially when you do the math and it works out to almost $5K for us Canadians. As much as I'd love to get a new box, at $5K it is NOT happening any time soon. I mean, I could buy a really good used CAR for that.

As bad as the PM sales are going to be stateside I'd love to see Apple's international sales. Oh well, here's hoping Steve keeps up the trend of dropping high-end prices or even, gasp, prices the box differently in foreign countries to reflect the currency valuation...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Think they're just being really nice to edu right now. My university bookstore is currently selling the Tibook 667 (with combo drive) for $2719 (including AppleCare). Almost tempting enough to buy one.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    macmediamacmedia Posts: 152member
    [quote]Originally posted by JustAGuy:

<strong>$3K for a high-end box, even one as great as the PM, is just plain silly. </strong><hr></blockquote>

First of all it's about $2600 for the dual. I paid about $2500 for my PM/450 2.5 years ago and that was the best money I ever spent so I see this as a good deal also.

If it makes me happier in my work (yes) than it's worth it. It's better than therapy (52 trips to the shrink X $50 = $2600) and I won't end up with a fvcked up personallity.

Chas
  • Reply 9 of 9
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macmedia:

<strong>It's better than therapy (52 trips to the shrink X $50 = $2600) and I won't end up with a fvcked up personallity. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not even gonna ask where the hell that one came from.