File Sharing with wireless

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I setup a wirless network with my iMac lcd 700 and my brand spanking new 12" 700mhz ibook. i setup an airport netowkr, using the imac as a software base station under OSX. everything works completely fine, i can connect to the net and stuff. However, i can't browse to mount the file shares, but i can mount by entering in afp://10.0.1.1? I also have dave installed and the same goes for that, i can't browse but if i enter smb://192.168.1.5 i can connect to the pc's, but id like to browse to them. any help?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    jregojrego Posts: 56member
    I don't have Airport, so I can't really help you there, but I have read a solution that's even better than browsing if you always have the same machines on your network.

Mount each drive that you'll be using, and make an alias. Put all these aliases in a "Servers" folder on the dock. Then, ctrl-click the Severs folder and select the drive. If you're not already connected to the computer in question, you'll be prompted to log in. This is a lot faster than waiting for auto-discovery. Hopefully, though, you'll be able to get that to work too.

[edit]Just a thought, but are you on the same subnet as your other machines?[/edit]

[ 06-14-2002: Message edited by: jrego ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dartblazerdartblazer Posts: 149member
    yup same subnet on all machines. The alias thing is a good idea and i will probably use it, though i would still like to figure out why the browsing feature does not work
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jregojrego Posts: 56member
    It seems that, at the moment at least, you shouldn't be able to see SMB servers in your "Connect to Server..." box under any circumstances. There are some alternatives listed here:

<a href="http://www.osxzone.com/stories.php?story=02/06/12/8138269"; target="_blank">http://www.osxzone.com/stories.php?story=02/06/12/8138269</a>;

Sharity is one suggestion they make that you might want to try.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    already have Dave 3.1 as mentioned in the first post. Anyone else on airport network having troubles browsing available file servers?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member