How do you record MIDI or MOD to AIFF without Audio out -> Audio in?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm very new to MIDI and working with sound, however I have invested thousands, a while ago, in a Yamaha P200 etc and MOTU DP 2.51. How can I make MIDIs into AIFF, for use on a CD, for example? (and MODs, there are some cool game tracks out there in MOD, and the Speech synthesis from Speakable Items stuff, would be cool to record too!)

Without using a male/male cable to record from the audio out port to the audio in port. I have tried the above method, and the sound quality is horseshit.

Any help to this simple question which is boggling my mind would ]greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    jregojrego Posts: 56member
    Have you tried QuickTime Pro? It can convert many sound formats, including MIDI. Use the Export feature and choose AIFF (or your sound format of choice).

Also, I think theH?quality is so bad is feedback. Your mac takes audio from the in port, plays it through the out port, then takes that through the in port, and plays that... I tried the same thing myself getting a sound from a game into a wav for one of my non-Mac friends to hear. I ended up going through some complicated procudure involving ResEdit and a few other applications. I'll try to remember what I did and get back to you on that. Fortunately, the solution to your current problem is much more simple.

I'm not sure about speakable items. I tried to do that only once, and I needed to route it through the out and in ports. However, I was using my RCA ports and an amplifier, which was not setting up an infinite loop. What kind of computer are you using? Depending on the ports, this kind of solution could be possible. Of course, you could always plug your Mac into a tape deck and record back from that. Then feedback would be impossible unless you have a case of bad wiring.

[ 06-17-2002: Message edited by: jrego ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 2
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Thanks jrego, I don't know what I was thinking! I forgot about ol' QT pro. But I must have been thinking about something even better... I've got an even bigger challenge for you! How can we make AIFFs out of MODs, without ending up with just a folder full of the sounds they're composed of? For those who don't know, MOD is sort of like MIDI, in that it's not a format, so much as a score. Individual sounds are looped and "played" etc. This results in an extremely small file. But converting MODs seems to just give you the actual sound files it's made up of.

Oh well, I do have my Blue G3 hooked up to a badass 200 watt amp, I could just record back from there. I was just looking for a cleaner solution to this type of problem. Jrego, thanks again for reminding me! (D'oh! I was tired.)