RAM question for 333 iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I want to increase the RAM my son's iMac. I plan to add 128 Megs to the current 96 for a total of 224. I'd like to get help with what chip to order. I think its a revision B iMac. My father bought it just after they came out with the 5 colors(sorry--flavors!). It came with 32 MHz and the reseller gave an extra 64 for free.

I have no idea how the extra was installed. I assume there are at least 2 RAM slots. If there are three, Id just buy the 128 RAM chip and install that in the empty slot. But if there are two slots now taken by the 32 and 64 RAM chips, Id have to remove one chip to upgrade. Then Id have to get two chips or maybe one 256. The computer isnt used for anything RAM intensive but I want to be able to use OSX without it being too slow. Does anyone know how this was done on those iMacs?

Thank you in advance for your help.

BTW, I remember when 96 MHz seemed like a lot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Well there's 2 RAM slots in the Rev D iMacs. The bottom one will only take low profile RAM. To find the RAM you need go to <a href="http://www.ramseeker.com"; target="_blank">ramseeker.com</a>.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by reynard:

<strong>I want to increase the RAM my son's iMac. I plan to add 128 Megs to the current 96 for a total of 224. I'd like to get help with what chip to order. I think its a revision B iMac. My father bought it just after they came out with the 5 colors(sorry--flavors!). It came with 32 MHz and the reseller gave an extra 64 for free.

I have no idea how the extra was installed. I assume there are at least 2 RAM slots. If there are three, Id just buy the 128 RAM chip and install that in the empty slot. But if there are two slots now taken by the 32 and 64 RAM chips, Id have to remove one chip to upgrade. Then Id have to get two chips or maybe one 256. The computer isnt used for anything RAM intensive but I want to be able to use OSX without it being too slow. Does anyone know how this was done on those iMacs?

Thank you in advance for your help.

BTW, I remember when 96 MHz seemed like a lot.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That particular model of iMac has 2 RAM slots, and both of them are filled (the original 32MB plus a 64MB added) so you'll need to yank the 32MB chip. You can get 128MB or 256MB chips for this machine, but the 256MB chips are ~$150ea vs. only ~$50 for the 128MB. I would recommend removing the 96MB and putting in two 128's for a total of 256MB. The memory chips used, by the way, are 66MHz SODIMMs, the same kind used by most laptops (in case you want to try selling the used ones). Hope this helps!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Buy as much ram as you can afford. Mac OS X loves 512Mb or more. I have 1.5 GB's. I'll tell you. It loves it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Xidius:

<strong>

Unfortunately, the computer he is using can only hold/use at most 380. If you install more, it wont start.</strong><hr></blockquote>

actually, it'll support up to 512MB with firmware revision 1.2, but the bottom RAM slot has to be a low-profile 256MB SODIMM, which are quite pricey, so 384MB would be the practical limit when factoring price in.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    reynardreynard Posts: 160member
    Wow! Im so impressed with the help I get here. I have all the information I need, just have to decide how Im going to go here. I will at least up it to 256 after hearing your suggestions, maybe 384 even. Thanks to all, especially Xidius, with your step by step instructions.

One reason I have decided to stay with Macs is the incredible support that one can get from the Mac community. Time to order some more RAM!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jregojrego Posts: 56member
    Well, that all depends on what "pricey" is. RAM at the Apple store is exactly $75/128MB, regardless of chip type and size. They don't have it on display, you have to ask, and they can tell you exactly what will work with your computer and what won't. You can get a 256MB chip that should work in the bottom socket from $150 from them, and probably even less from an outside retailer. I wouldn't be suprised if you found a compatible chip for less than $100. Shop around, especially online.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Suggestion:

Buy "name brand" RAM (Viking, Edge, etc.) ... when I upgraded this iMac, I bought the cheapest chips I could find ... the RAM chip went bad after about 6 months ... the previously installed RAM was a little more expensive, but I;ve never had any problems ($10 more is worth the lack of hassles) --- just my opinion.

Also, this rev.A iMac (266 mhtz) was running OSX just fine on 256 MB of ram, and is now doing fine with only 192 MB .... if you don't do a lot of gaming, or photo/video manipulation, extra RAM doesn't seem to be necessary (though I won't say that it doesn't make a difference)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    [quote]if nothing happens after hitting the power button.

then you didnt completely insert the processor. reopen the case, and try again.

<hr></blockquote>

grr i wish someone had told me that when i tried to install a new hdd in my rev D. All i did wrong was not inserting the daughter card far enough in and it cost me half the price of the hdd to have a service guy fix it. grrrrr...

also if the card isn't in hard enough the fan will turn on and the light will glow amber.