Apple's web traffic rivals New York Times, bests eBay, Walmart

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A new analysis has ranked Apple as the No. 13 most-visited website in the U.S., besting retailers eBay and Walmart and falling just behind traffic to The New York Times.

comScore released the results of its November 2011 Media Metrix study on Thursday, noting a considerable jump in traffic to toy and consumer electronic sites during the holiday shopping season, as noted by Ad Age. According to the analysis, Apple's web properties drew in 79.2 million unique visitors during the month of November, slightly less than 12th-place New York Times Digital's 79.6 million.

Apple, Amazon and eBay were the only retailers to crack the top 15. Walmart placed 18th with 58.5 million visitors.

Google took the top spot with 186.7 million uniques, while Microsoft came in second with 175.5 million. Yahoo! placed third with 174.5 million, and Facebook.com came in fourth at 166 million.

The iTunes Store made up a significant 30 percent of Apple's unique visitors during the month of November, according to the report. comScore revealed that digital content, including books, music and TV shows, represents the fastest-growing e-commerce category for this holiday season. Digital content sales are up 30 percent year over year, compared to general e-commerce growth of 15 percent.

Given that Apple came in 14th place with 69.9 million unique visitors in the November 2010 Media Metrix study, the company saw more than 13 percent growth in traffic to its web properties from a year ago.

The iPhone maker has seen growth for its international websites as well. Between August and October, Apple's U.K. online store was second only to Amazon.co.uk in terms of traffic, according to one recent analysis.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Basically, it appears that the top companies host search engines and that's why they get so much traffic. Only Facebook's social network does nearly as well which I find rather impressive.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    I wonder if the apple.com default home page in Safari contributes to this. Not everyone bothers to change this setting. On a side note, I truly abhor ebay.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I wonder if the apple.com default home page in Safari contributes to this. Not everyone bothers to change this setting. On a side note, I truly abhor ebay.

That was my first thought as well, but the article specifies "unique visitors", so maybe it doesn't count me everytime I open Safari. If it refers to unique sessions, I think the number is too low. I could be mistaken though.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

The same can be said of Windows and Google on Linux.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Sentiments for eBay seconded
  • Reply 6 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    NYT ?

Propaganda paper.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple, Amazon and eBay were the only retailers to crack the top 15. Walmart placed 18th with 58.5 million visitors.

Impressive that Apple topped Walmart but I think Microsoft counts as a retailer now:

http://content.microsoftstore.com/st...ail/Houston-TX
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Yahoo's news site is my home page. One of my e-mail accounts is with Yahoo so that is another reason it gets hits. The same goes for my Hotmail account and Gmail account. With that said the placing of actual sites that aren't related to browser default home pages or search engines seems more impressive.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    With all the problems anything from Microsoft I expected them to be in the number 1 spot, people looking for answers to their MS software problems.

And is it domain name only? How does it work, or is it counted, when people access resources from a company through an app? It looks to me apps are included in the count, otherwise I cannot believe people are accessing Facebook through a web browser. Don't people use the iPhone App instead? Sorry, Facebook app, as it surely must be available on Android and WP7 as well (I presume)
  • Reply 10 of 11
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Sentiments for eBay seconded

What is the problem with Ebay?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    My website had only one visitor, that's .0000001 million unique visitors.

(No it was not me, it was someone named Rocky,funny thing my dog's name is also Rocky)