File sharing OS X and 7.5.5 (can it be done?)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
OK, here's the thing. We recently upgraded a computer to OS X and would like to allow a Performa connect to it but we can't get the performas to run OS 8 and still find their ethernet cards (a solution to this would be great too).

Every time I try to connect either of two performas running 7.5.3 or 7.5.5 to the G3 running OS X 10.1.5 the performa says "The connection to this server has unexpectedly broken."

Every other computer ranging from OS 8.1 to OS X 10.1.5 is able to connect just fine though.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tomahawktomahawk Posts: 178member
    Any suggestions?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    [quote]Originally posted by Tomahawk:

<strong>we can't get the performas to run OS 8 and still find their ethernet cards (a solution to this would be great too).

</strong><hr></blockquote>

The card may not be an apple card. If it isn't then you need to get an extension from the card maker. I have a WorkGroupServer 8550 with a Farallon 10/100 card that had the same problem under 9.1 (interestingly it worked just fine under 10.1.5). Farallon is now Proxim.

Their Mac product downloads are here:

<a href="http://www.proxim.com/products/all/maccard/index.html"; target="_blank">http://www.proxim.com/products/all/maccard/index.html</a>;

[quote]<strong>Every time I try to connect either of two performas running 7.5.3 or 7.5.5 to the G3 running OS X 10.1.5 the performa says "The connection to this server has unexpectedly broken."

Every other computer ranging from OS 8.1 to OS X 10.1.5 is able to connect just fine though.

Any ideas?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not sure if this will help but it couldn't hurt: Make sure that you have the latest version of OpenTransport that 7.5.5 allows, some of those early versions of OT were pretty sucky...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tomahawktomahawk Posts: 178member
    OT 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 was the most recent version I could find. It is updated to that, a great upgrade which will make it easy to get internet. However, we still can't get it past that warning.

It can see the server, asks for login, etc. just can't actually connect.

Any more ideas?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jregojrego Posts: 56member
    I think the problem is Apple's recent emphasis on security. Connecting the older OSes was not very secure compared to what we now enjoy with 9 and X. Logically, trying to connect a 7.5.x machine to X would not be a good idea from a security standpoint, because it would leave the previously secure file system on the X machine wide open. Thus, Apple doesn't let you do it. You may be able to download some better security software, but I think it's just easier to only connect from X to 7.5.x, not the other way around. That seems to work for me. Good luck!