RE: Apple 17" digital monitor

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I remember that the digital monitors weren't always compatible with every computer without an adapter. I have a dual-500 that needs an adapter and am looking to get a refurbished 500 megahertz ibook but am nervous it won't be compatible with my monitor. Does anyone know? Also will this machine be able to do Quark and Photoshop comfortably?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    buisbuis Posts: 30member
    The iBook is definately not compatible with Apples ADC screens. The adators work with DVI connectors and the iBook has some kind of VGA.

If you run in MacOS 9, it will run PhotoShop and Quark pretty well. For a G3. You will find the relative slow disk a bottleneck and be sure to add enough RAM.

If you connect an iBook to an external display, it won't go higher than 1024*768. I don't know your definition of comfort, but 1024*768 in either PhotoShop or Quark is not my idea of comfort.

You would be much better off buying a FireWire PowerBook 500 (aka Pismo). Can do desktop spanning (iBook can't!) and higher rez externally. The iBooks screen and case is prettier and sturdier though...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Pismo case is much stronger. Pismos are tanks.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    buisbuis Posts: 30member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:

<strong>Pismo case is much stronger. Pismos are tanks. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I owned a Pismo and I think the dual USB iBooks feel much sturdier. I also heard that it can withstand drops from about 3ft, having a rubbermounted drive and all.

I dropped my pismo from by Kensington Backpak. Forgot to close it...

It broke becuase the battery squashed the screen a bit. Otherwise it worked just fine. Untill I dropped it again, same scenario but this time walking up a flight of stairs. Then it died and spilled all it's parts on the floor Not a pretty sight.

:eek:

Anyway, forget the 500MHz iBook and get a Pismo.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jregojrego Posts: 56member
    Try Gefen for converters, they make a lot of stuff, including a VGA to ADC adapter. Their stuff is a bit expensive, but it does look like quality hardware. I can't personally vouch for it, though. Their website is:

<a href="http://www.networkpromktg.com/gefen_products.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.networkpromktg.com/gefen_products.htm</a>;

They also have some amazing fiber optic extenders, though those are even more expensive. What could anyone possible do with a quarter mile USB cable, though?