I think my Logic Board is dying =(

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I think my Macbook is headed to its demise… a month ago it stopped charging. I was still under warranty then, brought it to the genius bar and was told it was an issue with my charger and was sent on my merry way thankful it wasn’t an issue with the computer itself…

Now flash-forward to now 6 weeks later and it’s getting very hot, randomly shutting off (it shut off twice today when I accidentally tapped the part of the computer where you plug in your charger) and it also shut down randomly last week when I placed on my desk.

When I turn it back on after a shut down the date/time is all messed up and it won’t charge at first. I have to turn it off and on a few more times, plug/unplug the charger till it eventually begins to charge again. These random shut offs happen both when the battery is drained and when the battery is full. I highly doubt it’s a charger issue as I just got this one a few weeks ago and the charger works fine on other computers. When it is not randomly shutting off it works fine and it only gets hot when I'm watching Netflix or a DVD

I am starting to lean toward the grim possibility that it is my logic board. And the FUN part is my warranty was up two weeks ago. Before now I haven’t had any problem with it…it figures. No chance in HELL I can afford to replace that. Can anyone clue me into what’s going on? Or what the general symptoms of a logic board issue are? Here is the battery information if you’d like to see it…thanks in advance!

Model Information:

Charge Information:

Charge remaining (mAh)t4601

Fully chargedtNo

ChargingtYes

Full charge capacity (mAh)t4761

Health Information:

Cycle countt436

ConditiontNormal

Battery InstalledtYes

Amperage (mA)t660

Voltage (mV)t12564

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes)t90

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes)t10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes)t60

Wake On AC ChangetNo

Wake On Clamshell OpentYes

Wake On LANtYes

Current Power SourcetYes

Display Sleep Uses DimtYes

Battery Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes)t66

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes)t66

Wake On AC ChangetNo

Reduce BrightnesstYes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS InstalledtNo

AC Charger Information:

ConnectedtYes

IDt0x0100

Wattage (W)t60

Revisiont0x0000

Familyt0x00ba

Serial Numbert0x008944b2

ChargingtYes

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boston1901 View Post

I think my Macbook is headed to its demise? a month ago it stopped charging. I was still under warranty then, brought it to the genius bar and was told it was an issue with my charger and was sent on my merry way thankful it wasn?t an issue with the computer itself?

Now flash-forward to now 6 weeks later and it?s getting very hot, randomly shutting off (it shut off twice today when I accidentally tapped the part of the computer where you plug in your charger) and it also shut down randomly last week when I placed on my desk.

When I turn it back on after a shut down the date/time is all messed up and it won?t charge at first. I have to turn it off and on a few more times, plug/unplug the charger till it eventually begins to charge again. These random shut offs happen both when the battery is drained and when the battery is full. I highly doubt it?s a charger issue as I just got this one a few weeks ago and the charger works fine on other computers. When it is not randomly shutting off it works fine and it only gets hot when I'm watching Netflix or a DVD

I am starting to lean toward the grim possibility that it is my logic board. And the FUN part is my warranty was up two weeks ago. Before now I haven?t had any problem with it?it figures. No chance in HELL I can afford to replace that. Can anyone clue me into what?s going on? Or what the general symptoms of a logic board issue are? Here is the battery information if you?d like to see it?thanks in advance!

Model Information:

Charge Information:

Charge remaining (mAh)t4601

Fully chargedtNo

ChargingtYes

Full charge capacity (mAh)t4761

Health Information:

Cycle countt436

ConditiontNormal

Battery InstalledtYes

Amperage (mA)t660

Voltage (mV)t12564

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes)t90

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes)t60

Wake On AC ChangetNo

Wake On LANtYes

Current Power SourcetYes

Battery Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes)t66

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes)t66

Wake On AC ChangetNo

Reduce BrightnesstYes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS InstalledtNo

AC Charger Information:

ConnectedtYes

IDt0x0100

Wattage (W)t60

Revisiont0x0000

Familyt0x00ba

Serial Numbert0x008944b2

ChargingtYes

My symptom was a big question mark in the middle of the screen? like that. It was trying to find the operating system and it could not.I had to have the logic board replaced by apple.