Mac OS X Server setup and dyndns

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

I can't figure this out... And I can't find any info on it...

I've signed up with dyndns.org - (myname).dyndns.org.

However, when I setup Mac OS X Server under "Sites" in the Web Config, I have to use myname.dyndns.org as the name and my actual dynamic IP hardcoded in for the webpages to be accessable.

This defeats the purpose if I need to go into the Web Config and change the IP when my lP changes.

I thought I could use 127.0.0.1 as the IP because when I key that into the browser, it works - the page loads... But it only works with the dynamic IP that I type in - as I will use the client app to update my IP with dyndns.org - which I have all set up working correctly.

And the funny thing is, if I FTP to (myname).dyndns.org, I get into the FTP server. Or maybe this is not that funny...?

I guess I don't understand why using 127.0.0.1 won't work for the IP...

Someone out there must have this same setup - How did you get it to work?

Any help would be GREAT.

Thanks!

Jerremy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    i am also curious about this
  • Reply 2 of 3
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jerremy:

<strong>Hi all,

I can't figure this out... And I can't find any info on it...

I've signed up with dyndns.org - (myname).dyndns.org.

However, when I setup Mac OS X Server under "Sites" in the Web Config, I have to use myname.dyndns.org as the name and my actual dynamic IP hardcoded in for the webpages to be accessable.

This defeats the purpose if I need to go into the Web Config and change the IP when my lP changes.

I thought I could use 127.0.0.1 as the IP because when I key that into the browser, it works - the page loads... But it only works with the dynamic IP that I type in - as I will use the client app to update my IP with dyndns.org - which I have all set up working correctly.

And the funny thing is, if I FTP to (myname).dyndns.org, I get into the FTP server. Or maybe this is not that funny...?

I guess I don't understand why using 127.0.0.1 won't work for the IP...

Someone out there must have this same setup - How did you get it to work?

Any help would be GREAT.

Thanks!

Jerremy</strong><hr></blockquote>

OK, not sure if I completely follow what you're asking, but here's some info I think will help. 127.0.0.1 is your localhost's IP address. This is an internal IP address usable only from your machine to view your machine's network functions (web serving, FTP, etc) and is mainly used for testing purposes. This address is not accessible outside of your machine. For anyone else to view the web pages your machine is serving, they will need a valid external IP address to connect to. Now because you're using OS X Server, you need to assign the valid IP address to the site, and OS X Server assumes a static IP.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jerremyjerremy Posts: 11member
    Pasta:

Thanks for the reply...

I did know that 127.0.0.1 is the localhost address... That's why I thought it would work.

I have registered a domain name: thehundredthmeridian.com - and setup custom dns service with dyndns.org. So, if you do a lookup of my domain, you get my current IP address of 24.29.62.181.

I have the dyndns client working on the machine to update my IP as needed to dyndns.org.

So that end is working.

Now, on Mac OS X Server, I have email, FTP, and QTSS working off my domain with no problems.

However, in the Web Config of Server, under the "Sites" tab, you need to specify the dns name of the site "thehundedthmeridian.com" and an IP. I don't want to type in my dynamic IP (which will make my pages accessable), becuase when it changes, I have to go into the config and switch it.

That defeats the whole idea of using dyndns...

I thought if I used the locahost IP 127.0.0.1, it would work....

So, my question is, how can set this up so I don't have to key in my real IP address...? Is there a way around it?

As I said, I want to make this work like it is supposed to with dyndns.org... Me not having to manually update the Mac OS X server configs when my IP changes since my dyndns client is updating with dyndns.org for me automatically.

Any ideas with this more detailed info Pasta?

Thanks for your help.

Jerremy