Verizon CEO cancels keynote appearance at CES

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Verizon Communications Chief Executive Lowell McAdam has canceled his scheduled appearance on a keynote panel at next week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nev.

A company spokesman cited on Tuesday a scheduling change as the reason McAdam would be unable to attend the show, as noted by Reuters. He also said Verizon was looking into sending a different executive in his place.

The 2012 CES event is set to take place from Jan. 10-13. The run-up to this year's confab made headlines when Microsoft announced that it will no longer have a booth or keynote after 2012.

Verizon Wireless stole some of CES' thunder last year as reports of the imminent announcement of a CDMA-capable iPhone network emerged during the show. Apple and Verizon announced their new partnership just days after the conference wrapped up.

The wireless operator was in the news recently after it reversed plans to charge customers a $2 service fee to pay their bills online or by phone. Verizon announced the plans in late December, but quickly scrapped them after they prompted a widespread customer backlash and potential government scrutiny.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I wouldn't want tomatoes thrown at me, either.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Developer conferences still make sense.

Trade shows, not so much, especially when most of the focus is trying to out-manoeuvre Apple based on specious rumours while at the same time holding back any real developments, specs, pricing or release dates for fear of what Apple will announce a month later.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The wireless operator was in the news recently after it reversed plans to charge customers a $2 service fee to pay their bills online or by phone. Verizon announced the plans in late December, but quickly scrapped them after they prompted a widespread customer backlash and potential government scrutiny.

I'm still amazed at the balls Verizon has for charging a fee to customers who are trying to give them money.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Developer conferences still make sense.

Trade shows, not so much, especially when most of the focus is trying to out-manoeuvre Apple based on specious rumours while at the same time holding back any real developments, specs, pricing or release dates for fear of what Apple will announce a month later.

I'm still amazed at the balls Verizon has for charging a fee to customers who are trying to give them money.

kinda like your bank. They all do it.

come to think of it? Ever pay for mobile me?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theobold View Post

kinda like your bank. They all do it.

come to think of it? Ever pay for mobile me?

Apple never charged me a service fee payment for buying their MobileMe service. No, my banks don't charge me for anything. I don't even pay for stock trades or wire transfers.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No, my banks don't charge me for anything. I don't even pay for stock trades or wire transfers.

True. Every service provided by my bank, for transferring funds or paying utility bills, has been free. The only paid services are the ones like asking for a stop-payment on a cheque.

I have been paying my mobile bill online for years. I am really surprised by the gall Verizon has to charge for online payment - what with everyone going green and all that.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Verizon is my landline, Lord knows why, and I have mediocre Verizon DSL at home for reasons that were better five years ago, and I still have a four phone Verizon cell phone family plan, which I pretty much only stick with because every time I consider throwing in the towel I hear from friends who are unhappy with their other companies. But I can say without hesitation that I've never been a customer of any company with worse service, customer service, you name it than Verizon. Dealing with a problem with any of their divisions is like being stranded in the desert and having burning razors shoved up your fingernails, and paying for the opportunity.

They have quasi-monopolies in some areas here in the northeast (cell reception-wise they are way better than other options in NYC, IMO). But is there such thing as a satisfied Verizon customer? Or even a not miserable Verizon customer?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I wouldn't want tomatoes thrown at me, either.

Damn! You beat me to it!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

True. Every service provided by my bank, for transferring funds or paying utility bills, has been free. The only paid services are the ones like asking for a stop-payment on a cheque.

I have been paying my mobile bill online for years. I am really surprised by the gall Verizon has to charge for online payment - what with everyone going green and all that.

Witch bank is that? My bank charges me "over draft fees", "under balance fees", "ATM fees", "check order fees", "wire transfer fees", "account maintenance fees".

Either you have a huge balance at the bank, or you have a really good bank.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    He's too busy trying to bust the union to attend any CES BS.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Verizon Communications Chief Executive Lowell McAdam has canceled his scheduled appearance on a keynote panel at next week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nev.

I hope they charged him a cancellation fee.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Witch bank is that? My bank charges me "over draft fees", "under balance fees", "ATM fees", "check order fees", "wire transfer fees", "account maintenance fees".

Either you have a huge balance at the bank, or you have a really good bank.

You'd be surprised - it's Citibank! Of course it could be a geographical thing too - I am in India. My balance is not huge at all, but I do not get charged any of the fee that you mentioned.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tfors View Post

I hope they charged him a cancellation fee.

They should have.