Recommendations to replace Quicken Essentials For Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just recently purchased a NeatReceipts scanner for Mac to help organize my finances. The NeatWorks software has the ability to export to a .QIF file. However I learned that Quicken Essentials for Mac cannot import the file format and can only import one .QDF (which I assume means you cannot merge data from more than one .QDF file). So it seems that Quicken is no longer worthwhile since it seems unable to import Quicken's own older file formats. There is a workaround developed by a programmer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKKC01CQehk but this doesn't seem convenient to use on a regular basis.

I was wondering what recommendations users had for a financial package for Mac with good functionality and support. Ideally I would like to use a package designed for the Mac and not just a port from Windows. I would need the ability to import .QIF files created from my old 2001 version of Quicken Deluxe for Windows and the Neat Receipts software as well the ability (if possible) to import data that was directly inputted to Quicken Essentials for Mac which has limited export options.

I have been looking at iBank, but I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations. I use Snow Leopard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikethemartian View Post

I just recently purchased a NeatReceipts scanner for Mac to help organize my finances. The NeatWorks software has the ability to export to a .QIF file. However I learned that Quicken Essentials for Mac cannot import the file format and can only import one .QDF (which I assume means you cannot merge data from more than one .QDF file). So it seems that Quicken is no longer worthwhile since it seems unable to import Quicken's own older file formats. There is a workaround developed by a programmer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKKC01CQehk but this doesn't seem convenient to use on a regular basis.

I was wondering what recommendations users had for a financial package for Mac with good functionality and support. Ideally I would like to use a package designed for the Mac and not just a port from Windows. I would need the ability to import .QIF files created from my old 2001 version of Quicken Deluxe for Windows and the Neat Receipts software as well the ability (if possible) to import data that was directly inputted to Quicken Essentials for Mac which has limited export options.

I have been looking at iBank, but I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations. I use Snow Leopard.

Apparently Moneydance can open Quicken Essentials For Mac files and export them to .QIF.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I use iBank, and have been very happy with it for several years now.

It's different than Quicken, and it'll take some time playing with it to figure everything out, but.... it works great.

IIRC, it imported my quicken file without problems. The basic register data at least... I think I had to et up all the stock monitoring stuff, but the basic checkbook and savings registers transferred just fine.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I have looked at all the alternatives and found none that duplicates all the features of Quicken 2007, which I'd call a pretty sad state of affairs. The possibly good news is that Intuit recently notified their Mac customers of their intentions to recode 2007 for Lion compatibility.