Sony Clié compatibility in OS X

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Rarely am I the one needing help

I'm very strongly lusting after the new Sony Clié PEG-NR70 PDA (with keyboard, rotating screen, etc) but I've heard bad things about Clié's Mac compatibility, and mixed reports about OS X.

Some say that the new Cliés will sync perfectly fine with OS X using Palm Desktop 4.0, but that the memory stick data will not be mounted. Others say you need Mark/Space's utility The Missing Sync to get it to work, and this includes Memory Stick support (and more).

I don't want to use this 3rd party utility if I don't have to, so I'd like to hear from anyone that has actual experience syncing their Clié with OS X (especially if they have an NR70). Is the syncing with Palm Desktop good enough to cut it? Or am I better off waiting for a while?

I am definately waiting at least until MS releases the Entourage Palm conduit at Macworld, because I need this syncing as well. Again, anyone who has Sony Clié experience in OS X, please speak up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    macfanmacfan Posts: 53member
    I have a t615c clie and it works great with palm desktop 4.0 I picked up a sony memory card reader and it mounts in OSX without a hitch so that I copy to and from the memory card although I do not do this often.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by MacFan:

<strong>I have a t615c clie and it works great with palm desktop 4.0 I picked up a sony memory card reader and it mounts in OSX without a hitch so that I copy to and from the memory card although I do not do this often.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks MacFan.

If anyone else has experiences it would be great...

But if it works fine, I guess all I have to do is wait for the Entourage conduit...and to find 500 bucks
  • Reply 3 of 4
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I dont have a Clie, Palm, or anything other than an iPod, and a Camera. But I do have Dazzle 6 in 1 reader that is compatable with OS 10.1, and iPhoto (what I use it for) It reads MEMORYSTICKS, and 5 other types of Media. It was cheap too, and it works flawlessly.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    obi-dunobi-dun Posts: 19member
    I have a Clie PEG-S320/G sync perfertly with both Palm Desktop on X and OS 9.

I can also copy files to Memory Stick using "install handheld files". but it cannot mount the MS into desktop. If I want to delete files from MS I have to use "MS Gate" or plug the MS in the reader.

[ 07-04-2002: Message edited by: Obi-Dun ]</p>