iPad App Store hits 3 billion downloads, represents 19% of Apple's iOS devices

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

There have been 3 billion downloads of App Store applications designed specifically for Apple's iPad, representing 19 percent of all iOS App Store downloads, a new study has found.

ABI Research announced in a press release on Wednesday that it has estimated 3 billion applications have been cumulatively downloaded since the iPad first launched in 2010. The iPad represents nearly a fifth of all cumulative iOS downloads, despite the fact that it debuted nearly three years after the iPhone, and two years after the iOS App Store opened.

"Discounting all of those apps that were originally downloaded for Android smartphones, Android still trails greatly behind the iPad in terms of its tablet app offerings," research associate Lim Shiyang said. "Many Android tablets in the market are still using older versions of Android, which disadvantages users from enjoying the better effects of apps produced from more advanced software development kits."

ABI estimates that there are 120,000 applications that have been created specifically for the iPad available on the App Store as of the third quarter of 2011. That number and timeframe is consistent with news that surfaced last June after the number of applications on the App Store topped 100,000.

The growth of iPad-specific applications and downloads of iPad software is comparable to the explosive start the iPhone had when the App Store first opened. Apple announced that iPhone and iPod touch application downloads had topped 3 billion in early January of 2010, or less than 18 months after the App Store opened.

ABI's tablet data does not include iPhone applications, which can also be run from the iPad but do not take advantage of the tablet's larger 9.7-inch multi-touch display. The research firm has also predicted that Android tablets will gain more traction in terms of applications with the release of Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich," which enhances tablet support for the mobile operating system over its predecessor, Android 3.0 "Honeycomb."

The data comes from ABI Research's "Mobile Applications Market Data," which tracks mobile application downloads and revenues segmented by mobile operating system platform. Included in the database are historical data and forecasts for application downloads, as well as revenue forecast and an overview of mobile storefronts like Apple's App Store and the Android Market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    So how many downloads were there for apps that are designed to work with both, aka the Universal apps.

And how many of the 'iPhone apps' were downloaded to the iPad to use with the 2x trick

You need those numbers to really say how much traffic is due to the iPad
  • Reply 2 of 6
    One time, I downloaded a app.

It is fun.

And on Sundays, they give me milk.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    When we created our App, Readable, the iPad offered the opportunity to expand our thinking and options which we had developed for the iPhone version. Sales of the universal App are installed approximately 50% iPhone and 50% iPad, the vast majority of which are iPad 2 (Readable needs a front facing camera for the auto-scrolling via face detection). We considered porting it to Android, but the engineering challenge of meeting all permutations of device and screen make it too costly to develop at this point. Im not sure ICS changes much in this respect yet either. The iPad made our iPhone App even more useful and flexible - so I'm not surprised the iPad App sales are so strong.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    I ve spent quite a lot of money on the ipad app store, which is to me, by far, the most exciting dev melting pot in consumer media on the globe. Having said that I think it needs time to mature, a lot of applications have a lot to add and be polished. So overall great effort, but needs a lot of improvements too.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

So how many downloads were there for apps that are designed to work with both, aka the Universal apps.

And how many of the 'iPhone apps' were downloaded to the iPad to use with the 2x trick

You need those numbers to really say how much traffic is due to the iPad

Only Apple can have "universal Apps" whereas Android is such a nightmare of fragmented chaos that it is impossible to have universal Apps - see joindup comments

In fact it is so chaotic almost no Android devices will run the latest software apart from the latest Nexus! Whereas the latest iOS is backward compatible to the iPhone 3GS, 4 and 4S, and the iPad 1 & 2, except for Siri which will only run on the 4S.

As of today there 160,686 iPad Apps. Some are 2x but as a consumer that does not bother me as long as they work properly, which of course they do!

Android only has a few hundred tablet Apps and few of those run the latest Android software!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Because the unexpected happens in the most unexpected places, the Find My iPhone app can help you locate your missing iPhone even when you don?t have access to a computer. It?s free on the App Store and available to anyone. So if you misplace your device, download the Find My iPhone app on a friend?s iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and sign in to find your iPhone.

http://www.zerostylus.com/