Forcing Cube Ethernet to 100baseTX, full duplex?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Did anyone succeed in forcing their Cube's ethernet interface mode to 100baseTX, full duplex in MacOS X (I'm running 10.1.5 here)?

The switches in use here don't support autonegotiation so they are configured for 100baseTX fdx operation by default.

I'm trying to change the interface setting with the (undocumented in OS X, but documented in the FreeBSD man page) following command:

ifconfig en0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex

ifconfig doesn't complain, but after checking the settings again, ifconfig still displays half-duplex. I already tried compiling ifconfig from the Darwin source repository by hand but this didn't help either.

Does anyone have an idea how to configure the interface to full duplex (without hacking the GMac driver ;-)). Is there maybe some undocumented OpenFirmware variable I can set (similar to some SparcStations)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Genius Bar...
  • Reply 2 of 2
    [quote]Originally posted by Michael Engel:

<strong>Did anyone succeed in forcing their Cube's ethernet interface mode to 100baseTX, full duplex in MacOS X (I'm running 10.1.5 here)?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

OK, quoting myself here...

After several hours of searching Google and the Apple Knowledge Base, I only found a solution for OS9. So I checked out the AppleGMacEthernet driver from the Darwin CVS repository and hacked the driver to always switch to full duplex (l. 1433 in UniNEnetPrivate.cpp, added "full duplex=true" and recompiled). Not nice, but at least this works for me. I'll try to build a cleaner solution when I find a bit of time...

I'm now getting about 6 MByte/sec on the fast ethernet interface. Not overwhelmingly fast but acceptable.