ibook clock

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi everyone,

My new ibook's clock seems to lose time terribly. I think it might even have reset without me knowing. Is this a common problem with ibook (or across the Mac line) time?

Not a big deal, but if I'm going to display the time, I would appreciate if it was right, instead of wrong twice in 2 weeks. Of course, I didn't buy the computer instead of a watch. Just wondering. Thanks for your advice/comments, in advance.

Nicholas

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Mine does that too (600mhz combo). My workaround fix was to use a network time server in the date/time control panel (got a cable modem, so the connection is always on).

And I found out that it actually can be a big deal, if you're trying to connect to a secure web page. I kept getting "unable to establish secure connection" due to an out-of date sercurity certificate messages, which drove me nuts for days until I realized that the year had be reset back to 1900. Correcting it fixed the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    That used to happen when my iBook froze (of course in OS 9, not X). I kept it on the Network Time after that (both in OS 9 and now in X) and it's been fine.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dignandignan Posts: 10member
    my titanium's clock also resets back to 1905 whenever it crashes in os9 - gonna try the network time sync. Is this common with mac notebooks? I've never had this problem with any of my desktops.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    The funny thing is that my ibook hasn't crashed yet, but the time did change. Anyway, I sync-ed it with the network time this morning while I was online, and hopefully it will be fine. Since it is a laptop, it won't always be connected to a time server, which makes it a bit strange why it might be dependent on one to keep time.

Thanks for your help!

Nicholas