Survey suggests 50% growth in enterprise spending on Apple products in 2012

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

Apple could see as much as 50 percent growth in global corporate IT spending on its devices this year, according to a recent survey from a market research firm.

Forrester Research issued its Global Tech Market Outlook for 2012 and 2013 on Friday, as noted by MacNN.

The firm said "Bring Your Own Device" policies have helped to open up IT departments to Macs, iPhones and iPads. Other factors cited as reasons for the growth include small businesses buying Macs and iPads for employees to use at home and work and IT departments' shifts toward mobile with the iPhone and iPad.

According to the survey, the business sector will buy $10 billion worth of iPads this year, up from $6 billion in 2011. IT departments are also projected to spend $9 billion on Macs in 2012, up from $6 billion in 2011. Mac and iPad spending will rise to $12 billion and $16 billion, respectively in 2013, according to the survey.

Apple revealed last October that 93 percent of the Fortune 500 were deploying or testing the iPhone during the September quarter, up from 91 percent in the second quarter of calendar 2011. As for iPads, 90 percent of the Fortune 500 are deploying or testing Apple's touchscreen tablet as of the September quarter.

The rise in corporate spending on Apple comes as Windows-based computer purchases are expected to decline slightly over the next two years. Forrester sees business and government sales of Windows PCs and tablets falling three percent in 2012 and another one percent in 2013.

To conduct the survey, Forrester interviewed 46 IT vendors, and studied large corporate or institutional purchasers, including U.S. and international government agencies.

For years, Forrester was critical of Macs in the business sector, but it began encouraging companies to "repeal prohibition" on Macs in the enterprise last October. The research firm found that 41 percent of enterprises had blocked Macs from access to any company resources.

In November, The New York Times claimed that Apple's new CEO Tim Cook has made enterprise customers "more at ease" with the company than late co-founder Steve Jobs.

"(Cook) met more frequently with corporate customers and seemed to appreciate their needs, even if he did not deviate from Mr. Jobs's views about making consumers the priority when making Apple products," the report said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    I hate using my work windoze 7 machine by HP. It's slow, ugly, dull and the track pad is shit. But there are some Microsoft applications that are really good. Outlook is brilliant and the integrated CRM module (Dynamics) is good too. Until Apple integrate back end systems with user machines as well as Microsoft, it won't beat windows. Just keep nipping at their heels.
  • Reply 2 of 89
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bouncerman View Post

I hate using my work windoze 7 machine by HP. It's slow, ugly, dull and the track pad is shit. But there are some Microsoft applications that are really good. Outlook is brilliant and the integrated CRM module (Dynamics) is good too. Until Apple integrate back end systems with user machines as well as Microsoft, it won't beat windows. Just keep nipping at their heels.

apple does most things and im sure there do a good job with this..
  • Reply 3 of 89
    Quote:

Bouncerman

If you look at the chart in the 5 years 2008 to 2013 Windows based device sales have stagnated at around $68 billion.

Apple products, on the other hand have grown from just $2 billion a year in 2008 to a projected $28 billion in 2013 i.e. from less than 3% of Windows in 2008 to over 41% in 2013.

I would hardly describe that performance as "nipping" at Windows heels!

Incidentally Outllook has been available on Macs for years - its part of the Mac Office Suite.

Check with CRM because they may have a Mac version of what you need. I know that they are making a big effort converting their stuff for iPads.

Say goodbye to the tedium and loss of productivity of Windows and join the modern era with Apple!

That's what Forrester now say having reversed their advice not to use Macs!
  • Reply 4 of 89
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    Hopefully Apple will get serious about the enterprisexand re-release the Xserve while continuing to update the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 5 of 89
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    This is why big screen Apple TV (iBoard) will be important. Give them a super easy to use with SIRI-controlled big touch-screen panel for the whole meeting room that works seamlessly with everyone's iPad and Apple will sell much more gears to the enterprise.
  • Reply 6 of 89
    Quote:

You could do what I do, which is run Windows 7 in a Fusion 4 VM on my iMac. Of course, your company's management would never permit the infiltration of Mac into their Windows tunnel vision, and that will not change any time soon, especially in the larger enterprises that can cut some pretty sweet deals with major PC manufacturers.
  • Reply 7 of 89
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    Quote:

Outlook good!??!!!? Microsoft Outlook is one of the worst applications ever. It is a bloated, slow pig. The mail interface is a complete disaster. Search is completely broken. And their CRM product is a complete joke? Have you every used these products? Salesforce is light years ahead of the Great Plains, i mean Microsoft CRM.
  • Reply 8 of 89
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Where I work (a company with between 500 and 1000 employees, skewed towards PhD types), there is a great deal of dissatisfaction with IT. We are a "Windows-only" shop (except for me -- ha ha, suckers), but I don't know if the dissatisfaction can necessarily be blamed on Microsoft or if we just happen to have uniquely bad IT leadership (the "grunts" are basically good guys, I think -- but the leadership has its head up its a$$). Either way, though, we are a company where a lot of employees are very dissatisfied and interested in shaking up IT. I could easily imagine that will eventually include the addition of more Apple products into the mix. And if adding Apple products to the mix ends up reducing dissatisfaction... well, watch out MS.
  • Reply 9 of 89
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

Bouncerman

If you look at the chart in the 5 years 2008 to 2013 Windows based device sales have stagnated at around $68 billion.

Apple products, on the other hand have grown from just $2 billion a year in 2008 to a projected $28 billion in 2013 i.e. from less than 3% of Windows in 2008 to over 41% in 2013.

I would hardly describe that performance as "nipping" at Windows heels!

Incidentally Outllook has been available on Macs for years - its part of the Mac Office Suite.

Years? You mean since last year? Microsoft also dragged their heels for 6 months after launch and Outlook couldn't sync with any devices (except via exchange). They finally fixed that last spring. Office 2011 was the first with Outlook though. To say otherwise as you did suggests you don't really know what you're talking about.
  • Reply 10 of 89
    My work's IT director has been notoriously anti-Apple in the past. Given the adoption of iPads by our sales and marketing departments, he's coming around. He actually came by my office last week to show me he had given up his Blackberry for an iPhone.

I think as management sees how well Apple products integrate, IT departments will be expected to streamline. Rather than having to purchase dozens of devices, an iPhone/iPad or MacBook Air/AppleTV could be used for nearly any presentation by our companies representatives with very little technical training needed.
  • Reply 11 of 89
    Apple: now that you're making roads into enterprise (again), please don't mess it up (again).

Things may be different with the iPad, but Apple has a reputation for leaving customers cold. Anyone who invested heavily in Xserve or Final Cut Pro knows this only too well.
  • Reply 12 of 89
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    After several years of Federal restrictions that only allowed us to use completely locked down BBs, we are finally seeing the inevitable transition to iPhones and iPads. Even better, these interface to our secure networks, exchange servers etc. via a secure app that includes email, browser, file access and remote adminstration of the enterprise (but not the personal) data on the phone, so that in all other respects they are fully functional devices. This is a huge step forwards.
  • Reply 13 of 89
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

Hopefully Apple will get serious about the enterprisexand re-release the Xserve while continuing to update the Mac Pro.

No chance they rerelease- They wouldn't resurrect. It'd be more believable for them to make a new one altogether. But I still think that's highly unlikely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

This is why big screen Apple TV (iBoard) will be important. Give them a super easy to use with SIRI-controlled big touch-screen panel for the whole meeting room that works seamlessly with everyone's iPad and Apple will sell much more gears to the enterprise.

Apple TV2 can do this now- just use AirPlay. No need for Siri when you can just swipe to the next slide instead of holding a button and saying "next, next". Lol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Outlook good!??!!!? Microsoft Outlook is one of the worst applications ever. It is a bloated, slow pig. The mail interface is a complete disaster. Search is completely broken. And their CRM product is a complete joke? Have you every used these products? Salesforce is light years ahead of the Great Plains, i mean Microsoft CRM.

Outlook is pretty clunky and bloated, and unfortunately, still the standard. I found it awesome that apple Mail on Lion is now basically outlook without the fat. Pretty streamlined. I've never tried sales force, I might give it a trial.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

My work's IT director has been notoriously anti-Apple in the past. Given the adoption of iPads by our sales and marketing departments, he's coming around. He actually came by my office last week to show me he had given up his Blackberry for an iPhone.

I think as management sees how well Apple products integrate, IT departments will be expected to streamline. Rather than having to purchase dozens of devices, an iPhone/iPad or MacBook Air/AppleTV could be used for nearly any presentation by our companies representatives with very little technical training needed.

No doubt- great point. That's where it starts and why I think Apple has a chance in enterprise, iPhones and iPads change business owners and IT pro's minds. My brother (a marine and not a computer guy) was on year 4 of his blackberry (not using upgrades) and I was nagging him to death about getting an iPhone. He got one Christmas when his BB finally gave up. Stayed up until 3am playing with it (he's 30, not 12- lol). I asked him a week later how he liked his phone. "This isn't JUST a phone". Some people need to see to believe.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Apple: now that you're making roads into enterprise (again), please don't mess it up (again).

Things may be different with the iPad, but Apple has a reputation for leaving customers cold. Anyone who invested heavily in Xserve or Final Cut Pro knows this only too well.

Unfortunately, that's going to be a tough obstacle to overcome. I believe the article is right- Cook seems to be more understandable and stable than Jobs, which is good and bad, but enterprise would definately be much more at ease with cook at the helm. The bad part is that any business owner that knows jobs and cooks personality is likely an apple fan already and already on a Mac. Most business owners know cook is the CEO of apple but couldn't pick him out of a lineup.
  • Reply 14 of 89
    I have long thought that the primary reason IT people resist converting to Apple products is because they know that their jobs might be in trouble if they change. Just think about the number of times you have had to call IT for problems that either you have never seen on your Mac or which if encountered can be easily fixed yourself.

I was pretty close to a few of the IT people at my company and when I asked them candidly about this they basically confirmed my suspicion. Many of them also confirmed that they used Macs at home.
  • Reply 15 of 89
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

I think as management sees how well Apple products integrate, IT departments will be expected to streamline.

One word: winmail.dat.

If you want another one, go for umask.

Apple products don't integrate easily, because of the monolithic nature of the windows franchise in most enterprise settings.

While I am staunchly pro-apple, pro-Linux, and my tech-savvy business partner is at least pro-Linux, we still can't avoid having one windows server in the office, or an IE-dependent "web application" for accounting.

Streamlining points the other direction. The reason to go Apple (in a heterogeneous setting) is to maintain flexibility.
  • Reply 16 of 89
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    If Apple go for business they should buy Parallel desktop and offer business Macs with build in coherence mode windows and linux. You need a machine that will be able to run anything you throw at it, all on the mac desktop like its a native app. Where I work, we still have legacy apps that need win XP and DOS. It will be a huge plus to be able to run unix apps on the users machines. Most enterprise have windows desktop PC'S for users, unix servers and IBM mainframes or AS400.

They would also need to build an easy to maintain desktop mac. Something between the mac mini and the mac pro. On the other hand, the mac mini with no cd could be a nice all around desk pc (IT loves comp that are close down to users, users installing crap on there pcs is a major problem for IT). Apple would also need a small low cost monitor.

I am sure Apple could do great in enterprise if they are serious about it. But they would need to hire senior IT managers with real world experience in multi-OS environments to have a better understanding of what IT really needs.

IT need something that is close down to users BUT completely open to them.
  • Reply 17 of 89
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trblzr View Post

I have long thought that the primary reason IT people resist converting to Apple products is because they know that their jobs might be in trouble if they change. Just think about the number of times you have had to call IT for problems that either you have never seen on your Mac or which if encountered can be easily fixed yourself.

There will never be a shortage of problems no matter what OS is running...
  • Reply 18 of 89
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

There is some sweetness in that idea. Keynote. Easy. No fussing around with whacky adapters, funky remotes, bad projectors, finding input sources. I swear we seem to waste 10 minutes every time we need to hook into the projector.
  • Reply 19 of 89
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Outlook couldn't sync with any devices (except via exchange). They finally fixed that last spring.

Outlook doesn't sync with the Nokia Lumia 800. They don't have any understanding of what a user might want to do with a phone. Or Outlook. Nope, to me, Outlook is total crap. The interface is ok, but the usability is, well, useless.

Enter or import contacts. Now create an email. Type a users first name. Or last name. Check their name (ABC icon, or hit Ctrl-K). Or do a search for their email address. Really, it is totally crap. Sorry for the rant. Didn't get much better with version 2010. Haven't tried the Mac version, but why would I? I use a Mac at home, but am given no choice but to use Windows/Office ...at the office.
  • Reply 20 of 89
    ... the consumer will drive the corporate IT direction. You become an advocate or evangelist for a product or service as soon you as you plunk down your own hard earned cash. And if your boss is one of those people, then you have to listen. You can pull out all the charts or certifications or price lists you want, but you will be overridden.