On a Mac SE, does "FDHD" mean it's a 1.4 MB floppy drive?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Pretty self explanatory. I'm getting nostalgic and I kinda want an SE with a 1.4 MB floppy drive, so if it has the letters FDHD under the floppy drive, does that mean it's a 1.4 MB?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>Pretty self explanatory. I'm getting nostalgic and I kinda want an SE with a 1.4 MB floppy drive, so if it has the letters FDHD under the floppy drive, does that mean it's a 1.4 MB?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The FDHD models were 1.44MB floppy and 20MB HD. I remember when the 20MB HDs were considered HUGE. They were also extremely expensive!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yeah, my dad told me about a friend of his who owned a really old computer (pre-Lisa) and he wanted a hard drive for it. Everyone told him he didn't need one, but he took the plunge... and bought a 1 MB hard drive for $500 or $1000 or something.

I get a lot of great old computer stories from my dad, because he used to sell them back in the late 80s. He says he sold a LOT of Classics. One guy ordered a 4MB memory upgrade, and it took six months and $2000 to get it. Someone else insisted on a color monitor, even though he said that the money would be better spent on a hard drive... but they didn't listen and of course they were unhappy.

I'm just interested in getting an SE as both a floppy drive for my main computer and for setting it up on the internet. My brother has a 800k version with an external 800k floppy drive as well and a fried 20 MB drive, and he painted it all black. Looks pretty cool.