G4 Cube HD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
OK y'all,

Another question from moi. I'm looking to upgrade my G4 Cube's HD from 40 GB to 80 or 120 GB.

Can I safely put a 7200 RPM drive in the Cube?

I know from my own experience that these drives get a lot hotter than their 5400 RPM counterparts, and I don't want to screw the Cube, so I'll ask first. My Cube runs 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, so if heat is an issue, I'll stick with 5400 RPM drives. But I'd like the performance of a 7200 RPMer if possible. Can I do it?

I'd like to hear only from Cube owners, or people with experience with Cubes with 7200 RPM drives, if possible. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Hey all,

I'm still looking for an answer to the above, but also had another related Q:

I know ATA/66 has an issue addressing over 137GB. But does that mean in a single drive, or cumulatively somehow? I imagine its the first, but a friend asked me and I didn't know exactly how to respond.

[ 07-07-2002: Message edited by: The All Knowing 1 ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    [quote]Originally posted by The All Knowing 1:

<strong>

Can I safely put a 7200 RPM drive in the Cube?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have a cube and have not and will not go to 7200. I'm not an authority but I have heard they run hotter too.

I don't think the performance difference is worth the risk.

Good place to check up on this would be on:

<a href="http://www.accelerateyourmac.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.accelerateyourmac.com/</a>;

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    altivecaltivec Posts: 11member
    I have been working as a technician in a Apple Reseller for a few years now and we had install many IDE 7200rpm in G4 Cube and it work well so don't be affraid and go a head.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I upgraded my G4CUBE450 to a 80gig HD half a year ago. I've had no problems with it. Its noisier than before, but the performance boost was way more than I had expected... Its not running 24/7 but not far from it, so unless you live in a really warm climate (and haveno aircondition) I would definatly do the upgrade...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    I would do it........

If heat is something you're worrying about.......

attach a fan to the bottom of the cube......